View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #4045
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I am positively thrilled by the Mavs first two pre-season games. We see what looks like a brand new Porzingas, a revitalized Powell and a faster paced offense that seems to emphasize quick hits instead of always walking the ball up.

Part of this is clearly the new approach to offense from Kidd and his team. He is unlocking more of Luka's skill to pass in fast break situations, which Carlisle seemed positively allergic to. I love seeing KP race to the basket after rebounds and position himself for a Luka pass. He's so tall, he can catch and finish, or draw fouls, because the first defenders back are usually short guys. It also means more open three point shooters as defenses collapse on KP. As a result, we were also seeing the Mavs consistently in the penalty by the six minute mark. And with the ball moving more, guys not named Luka are shooting free throws at a high percentage.

Defensively, KP is more active than we have ever seen, getting blocks and getting into passing lanes. In the Clippers game, we could see them stop driving into the lane, which in past years has been an open freeway to easy dunks, layups and foul shots. If KP can police the lane, wing defenders can be more aggressive, knowing they have help behind them.

It would be easy to credit Kidd and blame Carlisle, but let me say this in his defense. He never got to coach a KP who was this healthy. But I think more credit can go to the fact that Luka has seen what happens when the entire offense consists of him walking the ball up into a fully set defense, drawing a double team and either playing hero ball, or passing out to open but inconsistent three point shooters. He has seen what a waste it is to leave KP in the corner instead of using his skills to both run and to post up. Luka seems fully committed to making KP his Robin, and Porzingas seems eager to take on the role.

We all knew that the Mavs only chance to get better was to revive the Unicorn. Its only two pre-season games, but its a hell of a start. I hope I'm saying the same thing once defenses see what the Mavs are doing and adjust. But so far, so good.

Last edited by G-Man; 10-12-2021 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote