View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Stoudemire: 'Once I get back, we can't be stopped'

The Phoenix Suns are first in the Pacific Division despite playing without forward/center Amare Stoudemire, their leading scorer last season who had surgery on his left knee Oct. 11. The fourth-year veteran, a second-team All-NBA pick and a first-time All-Star last season, was a major reason the Suns had the best record in the NBA. The 23-year-old rising star talked with USA TODAY NBA reporter Roscoe Nance about his injury and the Suns' success this season.
Stoudemire says he does not feel pain in his knee and his rehabilitation is going well.

Q: How is your rehab progressing?

A: It's going great. We're pretty much on schedule. I'm not doing too much weight-bearing (exercise), and I haven't started running and jumping yet. I'm right on target, and I don't really feel any pain.

Q: What are you able to do?

A: I'm shooting free throws and doing correctional exercises to strengthen certain ligaments and certain muscles that were pretty weak after the surgery.

Q: Do you have a target date for your return?

A: No, not exactly. It depends on how I feel in the next couple of months. That will determine when I get back out there.

Q: How frustrating has it been for you?

A: It's tough. This year was going to be my breakout year. I was looking to having a huge year. But as soon as I get back, I'll be right on pace to pick up where I left off.

Q: Most people wrote the Suns off when you went down. What were your expectations?

A: It's not surprising how well we have played. I helped make some of these offseason acquisitions and bring in a few guys. I knew the type of players we have. Once I went down, I figured we would be slack in a few categories, but they've done a great job of playing hard and bringing in some wins.

Q: Is there any difference in the Suns this season and a year ago?

A: We're better defensively with the offseason acquisitions. With the veterans we brought in and the veterans we had, we're much more on point with what we should do defensively. Eddie House has done a good job coming off the bench and filling the scorer's slot. Kurt Thomas was one of the main guys we wanted to bring in because of his interior defense. Raja Bell was another guy we wanted to pick up for his defense.

Q: Do you see this as a championship team?

A: No doubt about it. As soon as I get back, we're making a push for it. If everything stays on schedule and I don't experience too much pain, I definitely will be back this year. The (San Antonio) Spurs are up there, but once I get back, we can't be stopped. We just have to continue to stay on this good pace.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...-timeout_x.htm

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote