View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #27
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Magic: "It will be tough."

Barkley: He should stay out and rehab over the summer.

MRI will help determine when Amaré may return

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 2, 2006 12:00 AM

BOSTON - Amaré Stoudemire will lie down for about 90 minutes this afternoon in the Valley, and it will be one of the most important stretches of his career.

Stoudemire is to undergo a fourth magnetic resonance imaging test today on his surgically repaired left knee, but it is the most important one. With good results, Stoudemire could "turn it up a notch," as the Suns power forward put it. He could be playing basketball in progressive stages this month and appearing in a Suns game as soon as the start of March if all went perfectly.

"Once I get back to the motion of jogging and running, we're getting close," Stoudemire said. "My thing is I just want to make sure I'm not feeling any pain regardless of what the MRI says. It's still up to me on how I feel and the pain tolerance."

Stoudemire has yet to feel any sharp pain, only the expected discomfort that Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson defines as "uncomfortable" or "stiff."

If his MRI is nothing but positive again, Stoudemire will resume the same workout he had last season with strength and conditioning coach Erik Phillips three times a week. On three other days of the week, Nelson's work with Stoudemire will progress to "a lot more explosive stuff and jogging."

If Stoudemire can start jogging and getting his wind back, the Suns medical team will move him onto 5-on-0 play with no contact. With two weeks of that, he could begin one-on-one or two-on-two scrimmaging.

"Right now, it's even hard to put a time frame on everything because if and when we ramp up the activity, it's going to be how he responds," Nelson said. "He might respond great and we go right through things or he might get some general soreness, which I'd expect because he hasn't lifted the intensity up yet. It may be different so it's really going to be hard to put a specific time on it.

"The biggest thing is going to be once he clears all the physical hurdles, mentally when is he going to be ready? It's going to be totally up to him. When does he feel comfortable being able to do what he used to be able to do?"

Stoudemire, asked how much time he'd need to be playoff-ready, said, "Probably one game." It has been that kind of confidence that Nelson has needed to harness.

During the tedium of more than three months of baby steps, Stoudemire at times has tried to act on desire and move ahead of schedule. That's when Nelson reined him in.

Each step has excited Stoudemire. Nelson saw Stoudemire's eyes get big just over his first day of spot shooting or stationary ball handling.

Stoudemire's body looks more chiseled than ever with some extra pounds of muscle. He is at least as strong as he was last season.

Games such as Wednesday's win help Stoudemire temper his excitement to get back.

"I really want to get in the games we're struggling," he said. "I really want to get in and show them the Statmeister's back."
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote