View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #52
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I thought that Damps contract was maximized for relief during the next off-season. I mean he has one more year, but it is a team option I thought if he didn't meet guidelines. His value lessens as the season goes along, although I do think it relieves the salary cap numbers, just not the cash issues, unless he is cut in the off-season. Mark would still have to pay him till the trade date, I think- even though he could be cut anytime and the 13M come off the books. ( I think -- please let me know if I have misinterpreted this).

With that said, I am at a loss as to who anyone thinks they can actually get with him -- that might actually fit with the Mavs. Wade (I think is a very long shot). LBJ (no chance). Kobe (no chance). Bosh (maybe, and this would be my first thought, but still not very likely).

I have to admit, that if I had the chance to move the Dust chip right now for CP3 and Okafor -- which would save NO tons of money -- I would do it. CP3/Okafor/Peja for JJB/JHo/Damp/Gooden/Carroll/Williams will work $$$$, and JJB is the replacement point, JHo replaces Peja but has a player option and one year, Damp is cut, Gooden cut, Carroll's contract goes down, and Williams is cut. NO could cut $$$$$$$$'s of dollars, and still put a professional team on the floor. Dallas's top 10 at that point would be ready to win it all, IMO. CP3, Kidd, Marion, Dirk, Okafor -- with Roddy, Terry, Peja, Singleton, Humph, Thomas, and Ross on the bench, plus one added to get to 13 (Voskul?).

I am guessing that a SNT of Camby would be more like it, if Sterling could make a dime. I don't think they really like the ???'s and contract of Kaman.

Bosh is the dream I think, but Miami, maybe Cleveland, etc will try and sign him. Let's face it Toronto still has the inside track.

Joe Johnson is another name I think Dallas should/would go after, but he doesn't seem to want to play second fiddle, and with Kidd/Marion/Dirk and JHo -- ????

I just don't know who Dallas would be saving the DUST chip for, if say an Okafor and/or a CP3 etc is available. Okafor statistically is not massively better than Damp and for the savings that Dallas could offer, would CP3 be available? Three highest paid players basically wiped off the books.
I'm not positive on the first question but from the way I've understood it Dampier can be cut anytime prior to January 2011 with no clauses or salary cap implications attached, meaning that it's on a pay as you go basis and that once he is cut no more money is owed. It's possible his cap value could slowly dwindle following each game but I'm not sure if that is the case.

Regarding Chris Paul, if he is available at any time then we make that trade hands down no questions asked. However, if Paul is ever available the possibility of NO shipping him to another team within the same division seems highly unlikely.

At this point I don't think we're really saving the DUST chip for anyone in particular, rather we're saving it for an opportunity to significantly increase our talent level at some point in the future.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 11-17-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote