Thread: Kevin Martin
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #31
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Basically Iggy for the Dust Chip. We still plug a 7 footer at center.

We roll with this bunch for 2 years. We use the MLE on maybe another big or a wing.

Kidd-Iggy-Marion-Dirk-Dalembert, very athletic, good sized lineup, I think in Iggy we're getting Howard in his hey day on a nightly basis. For the Dust Chip, I'd do it. It's not a sure thing Bosh, or JJ will come. We close the book on the Dust Chip by making this deal, I'm sure Philly will buyout Damp.....then boom 30 days later we get him back. I can't see Philly using the Dust Chip ala what Cuban had in mind. They gambled on Brand and it backfired, can't see them doing a long term deal for a few years or until the next regime takes over.
The "DUST Chip" doesn't exist until this summer - anyone who takes on Damp has to pay him for the rest of this season (about $6mil at this point) before they can save any money by waiving him.

Damp ain't getting traded until the summer, plain & simple.

Quote:
Q: Why do you call it “The DUST Chip’’?

A: It’s the invention of the Mavs front office, but our David Lord unraveled the mystery of it and gave it a cute nickname. D.U.S.T. Chip = “Damp Ultimate Sign-And-Trade’’ Chip. After July 10, 2010, a team can trade for Dampier (and give Dallas the ability to trade-match a salary up to $16.4475 million) ... and then that team can immediately release Dampier. They get the payroll, cap and perhaps the lux-tax relief without ever having to spend a dime for a contract that is on the books at $13 million.

Q: Does Dallas have to wait until July 10, 2010 to trade Dampier?

A: That’s the way to get the most value for him, because if you trade Damp today, he’s not really DUST; his contract doesn’t immediately “go away’’ until next summer. It is conceivable that Dallas could find a standout player to acquire before the February deadline and trade Damp for him at that time. The wisdom there would be to take a sure thing rather than to bet on who might be available in the summer. Of course, depending on who is acquired, that figures to leave this year’s Mavs without a center for the playoff run.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-20-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote