View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #22
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Regardless of who we think the Mavs should pick, the FO has shown, over the years, how THEY will pick. Cuban feels that to build through the draft, you need to get 'lucky'. They pick players they think have the highest upside. I don't think they really factor draft choices into their projected team structure, so if they don't pan out, they don't see a big loss. The problem with this strategy is that any player with lots of 'upside' still left by the time the Mavs draft either has a low chance of every getting to that upside, or has some serious flaws in their game.

The reality is that the Mavs need to seriously upgrade their drafting. Not a single player left on the team that they ever drafted (James isn't necessarily on the team, and he was let go and came back). Look at Houston for an example of how drafting can pay off. You can either get some solid starters, or you get players that can be used in trades. Crowder is a good example of this...but pretty much the only one. I haven't seen stats on this, but I think there is a good chance the Mavs have the worst drafting history in the NBA over the last decade or so. That's one big reason why they have the roster turnover they do...no home grown talent that is being worked into the lineup.

Where does this leave them? PG is area of biggest need. Tyus Jones would be steadier, but Jerian Grant has the higher 'upside'. So, they'll likely go with Grant. Probably a good call...we have several decent PG's, with years of NBA experience, already on the roster. Mavs need someone who can elevate above that.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote