Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 03:24 AM   #2897
3_Ball

3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Just because we didn't add them to SL team doesn't mean we won't find the guys we want and bring them to camp. Yogi wasn't on the SL team. We also have 3 draft picks going this year instead of 1-2. Coincidentally last year we lost brandon paul to the spurs after he did so well with us. So getting them in SL is less important to me than getting them into camp. You want both but we have time still and it's not like we don't already have a few young guys as it is. We still have Motley, Jones, Brunson, Kostas, Spalding to go with Greene now. They probably planned on Andrew Harrison and Clavell but both got snagged. I'm not rly worried about it yet. Most teams only have 5-7 players currently listed from what I can see. So if Motley and Jones are coming and we get the usual visits from Warney and Ashley and other legends players we might only have 1-2 spots as it is.

Also in the past we went to multiple leagues and so we signed players for 2 different squads. This year we are only participating in Vegas.
In the FA thread, I thought you made a good post about how I should look at spending cap space as a tool to promote to players around the league that the Mavs are in it to win it & how filling out the roster with cheap role players isn't really practical.

This seems to be a different approach here. I don't understand the change in philosophy. Also, you talk like the Mavs have some secret stash of players somewhere to sign. Pretty much all of the guys you would want to sign have been snatched up. It's kinda baffling.

Billy Preston for one is a guy I would of loved to take a look at. He's essentially Mitchell Robinson, uber-talented & former McDonald's All-American in 2017, but we got to see precious little of him on the court this past year. The Mavs scouts as good as they are, they're not psychic. The only way to solve that mystery is to get him on the court & see what he has. Now, Cleveland has that opportunity & we do not. Btw, Preston is a very likeable kid. If you spent any time watching the hours of interviews Draft Express did at the 2017 McDonald's All-American game, you know Billy Preston is a guy that makes friends easily. He's the type of guy you want on your team trying to lure his friends to join the Mavs in FA. Really hate we didn't sign him.

Several others we passed on too. I just don't understand leaving the summer league roster so thin. Particularly with bigs. Why not take a look at Brandon McCoy? Did we get outbid? Bucks got to him first?...

No Preston, No McCoy, find me a big with some upside & give me a look at him for summer league plz.
3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote