View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 04:11 AM   #21
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE:7'5" 300 pound center possibly going to the Mavericks??

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
I agree he most likely wouldnt be able to make a huge impact with the team his first year in the league but could you really pass up on a 7'5" 303 pound monster and still sleep at night?
You could, once you saw him play. See above. He needs at least 2 or three more years and he's heavier than Shawn or Smits, so you draft a clumsy project with a knee-injury waiting to happen.
I havent read anything on Pavel being a clumsy player, infact throughout most of what I have read on him the majority of the praise he receives is for the mobility and coordination he displays. Also, at being 18 years of age i doubt knee problems will arise in the near future..perhaps in the latter years of his career this may become more of a concern. Another thing, if you can show me some information to back up your opinion on the guy's vertical leap then I may be persuaded but until then I have a hard time believing it can be as bad as you claim it to be

Here are some stats on Pavel last season with his team in Italy. I know its a european league but the stats speak volumes in the potential of this kid. Remember he's only 18

2002-03): Playing for Varese in Italy’s top league, he played 62 minutes over 10 games. He compiled 24 points, 20 rebounds and 10 steals in the 62 minutes.

I converted these numbers to a 48 minute time spand and the results were this:
boards per 48 minutes: 15
Points per 48 minutes: 18
Steals per 48 minutes: 7

these stats however are not a very clear indication on just what he'd be able to accomplish his first couple of years so to address fairness issues you can take these numbers and devide the stats and minutes he racked up by the number of games he played which was 10 and you get :
for approximately every 6 minutes played:
1.5 rebounds
2 points
and .7 steals

by possesing these numbers you can now multiply 6 times 8 to get the number of minutes in a game and you have a more realistic view of what he may be able to accomplish in his first couple years as he's learning and developing:
9 rebounds a game
12 points a game
4.2 steals a game

Those arent bad stats for a rookie, ofcourse these stats cant necessarily be considered entirely accurate to what he'd be able to accomplish in the NBA due to him earning these in a euro leauge but I thought this may allow readers to consider how he stacks up statistically at the young age of 18.

Granted many factors go into these stats as more games and more minutes are played but this offers atleast an idea on what he may be capable of.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote