View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Chat with Marc Stein

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein will drop by to talk about the NBA season!

SportsNation Marc Stein: Hello, all. Welcome back. Let's get right to the questions as we all celebrate the fact that no one has to ask where Artest is headed.

Drew, NY: When everyone mentions MVP's there is always this off-the-top of the head list of Billups, Nash, Dirk, AI, Kobe...Lebron is mentioned some of the time. But with what he has been doing lately by taking a team without Hughes (his #2) and putting it on his back has been incredible. I know he gets a lot of attention already, but how can he not be in the top 3 or 4 names mentioned for MVP? 31 / 7 / 6 / 1.7 / 50% from the floor. Are you kidding me? Monster numbers from a team player.

SportsNation Marc Stein: LeBron is ahead of AI on my ballot, but the Cavs haven't won enough overall. If they end up winning 50-plus, LeBron will be in the discussion. But Kobe has been that little bit sicker individually and the other three (Nash, Dirk and Billups) are driving the top teams. I also wonder whether Duncan, by season's end, will force his way into the conversation as usual. Parker has been the best Spur so far, but it's hard to put him in the top five because he gets to play with Duncan. But I've heard numerous folks mention that TD looked really good against KG on Saturday night. If that was an indication that his mobility is coming back, that'll be another guy who could bump LeBron down the list a bit.

Brian (Memphis): People that follow the NBA know that Pau Gasol deserves a spot on the All Star team. Whether there is a spot for him is another question. Do you think he makes the squad this year?

SportsNation Marc Stein: I thought Pau was going to have trouble even before the Grizz started sliding. If the Grizz don't halt the slide, I think he'll miss out again. There is no question he has taken a step forward, but there are so many forwards in the West that Pau's unflashy game gets overlooked.

Sharad, Princeton NJ: Hey Marc, PLEASE tell me Okur will make the All-star team, 19 and 10 from a Center, seriously, what more do you guys want?

SportsNation Marc Stein: No chance. Far better chance that Dirk or Gasol will be picked as a reserve center to make more room for all the forwards. I'd expect the coaches to vote for Kirilenko before Okur.

Eric (Dallas, TX): Why is no one giving the Mavericks their props? I feel like most Seatle Seahawk fans: our team doesn't receive ANY respect! When, noticed I said "when" and not "if" we win the Western Conference, people, especially Charles Barkley, will be jumping on the Dallas Mavericks bandwagon just as they jumped on the Dallas Cowboys bandwagon 14 years ago.

SportsNation Marc Stein: Why would you send me a question like this when I just led the Power Rankings with praise for how well the Mavs have been playing? I have them ahead of the Spurs in the rankings. I can't give them bigger props than that.

Noah (Indiana): Will the Clippers resign Cassell at the end of the year, or try to get something out of him in a sign-and-trade?

SportsNation Marc Stein: The Clips told Cassell before the season that they'd bring him back if things went well. I'd say things are going reasonably well and he's the most influential member of that team personality-wise. I expect him to be back . . . although the cynic would say that it's better to keep signing him to one-year deals because he plays with such a chip when he's in a contract year.

John (Detroit): Is there any truth the rumors lately that Joe D is finally looking to move Darko? The Pistons' bench isn't as bad as some make it out to be, but another piece would certainly help.

SportsNation Marc Stein: Yes and no. Joe has to listen to Darko offers because it's hard to see how the Pistons are going to be able to pay all five starters at least $10 million a year and then re-sign Darko, too. They've got to take care of Ben and Chauncey first, so you're obligated to see if there's a Darko offer that makes sense. But nothing presented so far has tempted Detroit. From what I've been told, Detroit wants to keep Darko as long as it can to A) give him every last chance to become the player he was projected to be and B) because the Pistons still believe he will be a productive NBA player and might wish someday (even though we're probably talking three or four years from now) that they still had Darko and Okur.

Reggie (Orlando): Marcus Banks and Mark Blount had nice games last night. Was this simply a *revenge*-type scenario against the Celtics or can these guys help get the Wolves into the playoffs?

SportsNation Marc Stein: I'm more apt to believe in Blount. KG minimizes his weaknesses and Blount, if nothing else, can score. That's why Minnesota wanted him so bad. Kandi (and Rasho before him) didn't score enough.

Greg (Denver, CO): OK, no one really believes that Philly is better off without Iverson, but the last two games have shown improved teamwork on offense and simply better defense in general. Would the Sixers consider trading AI now and rebuilding knowing that it might be the best way for guys like Iguodala, Salmons and Dalembert to grow? The current formula simply isn't working.

SportsNation Marc Stein: If the Sixers ever got to the point of moving AI, I just can't see it happening at midseason. It would be a monumental change in philosophy and a controversial (to put it mildly) sell to the people of Philadelphia. to go that route . . . and don't forget that finding a taker isn't exactly a snap because of AI's age and contract. I've always believed Atlanta should do whatever it could to get Iverson because he's the kind of Vick-esque personality (bigger, actually) who could sell out Philips Arena. But, please, let's get real. Two good games -- no matter how good Philly's defense was in those two games -- are not going to convince the Sixers to turn around and say: "Yup, it's time to move a guy who's probably more popular than Dr. J ever was and who's still producing at a monster level."

Jayme, NH: Hey Marc, do you see Theo Ratliff Getting Dealt before the Trade Deadline?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Blazers have had opportunities to move him to New York. But now that the Knicks' season is essentially over -- if it ever got started -- I'm not sure New York will resuscitate its interest. Unless the Knicks are sure Theo could mesh well will their kids, and unless the Knicks are sure they've got kids they can build around, do you burn an expiring contract to get him?

Christian (Culver City, CA): Will the Lakers be aquire someone before the trade deadline looms? Phil Jackson has mentioned before that the Lakers are one player away from contending with the elite teams of the west.

SportsNation Marc Stein: Phil was talking about Artest and he was overstating it. They're more than one player away.

Anthony (Chicago): Marc, as a journalist do you have any thoughts on the Oprah/Frye matter?

SportsNation Marc Stein: When was Channing on Oprah? I thought Tony Parker would be on first.

KJ (Kent, Ohio): Hey Marc: Are you willing to admit live on this forum that you have a bias against LBJ? You say he hasn't done it in the post-season, but the MVP is a regular-season award! And you say Kobe has been "sicker" individually? OK, but LBJ's team has a better record. And then LBJ dominates the floor against Nash and Phoenix. What more does he have to do this year?

SportsNation Marc Stein: What I have a bias against is turning one game into anything more than one game, like you're trying to do with Sunday's Cavs-Suns game. We've gone over this a zillion times, but team success will always be the biggest factor on my MVP ballot. The Cavs, until this recent win streak, were sliding toward .500. Even without Hughes, I expect more. LeBron, remember, has teammates like Ilgauskas and Marshall who are a fair bit better than the options surrounding Kobe these days. So LBJ is fifth on my ballot at the season's midpoint behind Kobe at No. 4. Nash is No. 1 because he has the Suns on a better-than-50-win pace without Amare and has helped SIX teammates score at a career-best rate. No. 2 Nowitzki is the only every-night lock on a team that might pip San Antonio for the top seed in the West. No. 3 Billups is the spark and conscious for a team that will probably post one of the best records of all-time. Kobe moves up IF the Lakers get close to 50 wins because the rest of his team is so weak. For LeBron to go higher than No. 5, Cavs probably have to win 55-ish games. That's the way it is on this ballot.

Greg (Atlanta, GA): Marc - big win for the Hawks last night over the Knicks. What do you see them doing with Al Harrington or any other possible moves before the deadline? Seems like if they are going to let him go, they need a PG or big man in return. What do you think? Also, Tony Delk is supposidly healthy and has been inactive all year. What are they going to do with him?

SportsNation Marc Stein: They want picks. Multiple firsts. They also think they can get more for Harrington in the summer. But it's not inconceivable that Atlanta will get a good offer in the next 20-plus days. They've told Al they want to re-sign him but I agree that it's more likely he gets moved. It's simply more likely in July than now.

Ammer, Toronto: Who do you think will be the next GM for the Raptors and will Sam Mitchell still be coaching this team next season?

SportsNation Marc Stein: I don't know if they have the money -- or the situation -- to tempt Kiki, but that would be a dream scenario for the Raps. Sam might start next season but, naturally, a new GM would be expected to bring in their own coach.

Ben (NYC): Let's settle it. What would be more revered and celebrated if both were to happen: if Kobe scored 101 this year, or if the Pistons won 73?

SportsNation Marc Stein: I know where you're going with this one. I'd love to say Detroit winning 73. But I'm guessing I would be proven incorrect. Sad but true. Individual glory tends to grab most of the glory in the modern world. Good one.

SportsNation Marc Stein: Good question to end on, too. We'll do it again next week. Thanks as always for all the good questions.