View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 09:02 PM   #54
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Is Dirk the best player in the league?

Quote:
Originally posted by: kyptonite
I really would put Dirk up there with TD and KG. If anyone watches the mavs, they can see how much of a beat Dirk is. He is almost impossible to guard. He can just turn around and nail fade away threes all game. Plus he has a lot more dimensions to his game. TD is incredibly boring to watch, and even though he gets it done, I think dirk is better. KG is Dirks biggest rival for MVP status.

Kobe isn't up there at all. He is a major ballhog who can take horrible horrible shots, and he's an idiot off court.
Since Dirk has no MVPs to his name, I'd say he might be a rival to TD or KG at this point in the season, and if he continues to put up these numbers for 82 games (and has some playoff success --- no first round outs for MVP, even if it is technically only for the regular season), I think he'll certainly finish in the top 3 in voting.

That said, regardless of Duncan's offensive stats, it's a hard claim to make that Dirk is a better player than Duncan. Comparing his defense to Duncan's is laughable at best, and Duncan's free throw struggles don't make up that gap. I'd say about the same thing for KG, but KG isn't the consistent offensive force that Duncan is, year in and year out.

I agree for the most part with the Kobe take.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote