View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #120
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
The problem is, that franchise has been such a sh*tshow for so long, I think those are the only candidates they can get. They're in the same position the Cleveland Browns have been in for decades now. Quality coaches stay far the F away, because they know that as long as Dolan is there, the franchise will always be dysfunctional. Yeah, they'll get a paycheck, but they won't be able to change the losing culture, and they'll walk away with their reputations damaged. Fizdale may not have been good, but firing him this soon and in this way is a really, really bad look, and only exacerbates their problems. They Knicks have been a joke for most of my life, but honestly this is probably the absolute nadir of their public perception and relationship with their fans and the media.

Like the Browns for so long, the Knicks are in true sports hell. It's the worst place a franchise can possibly be in, other than simply going bankrupt. They've been so bad for so long, the people who actually could save the franchise avoid it like the plague. Even if that weren't the case, Dolan has no idea how to hire people anyway, and will always manage to screw it up somehow. I read somewhere recently that David Griffin interviewed for the GM job and almost took it, but ended up saying no because Dolan would not allow him to fire Mills and bring in his own staff. As far as I'm concerned, that is far worse than missing out on Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. That shows that the franchise is still completely dysfunctional and will never change unless the ownership changes. That shows that the solution to their problems is right in front of them, but Dolan is too stupid to see it.

The only thing Dolan could do (other than just sell the team) is to hire the best executive he can get and just stay the hell out of their way. You give that person everything they need, and be very patient. Quit hanging your hopes landing a superstar free agent. It's not happening- at least not until you right the ship and convince the world that the franchise is stable and is being run competently. Build slowly through the draft and smart, cost-effective free agent signings- the kind that don't excite people but produce on the court. This process will take several years, and the criticism in the meantime will be crushing, but it WILL pay off in the end. This is what the Nets did. Remember, the Nets were a complete laughing stock too not that long ago, and look where they are now. The Browns have done a lot of the right things too, although their coach is still a buffoon. But like the Knicks, he was probably the best they could to at the time. Now that they've found their footing somewhat, the Browns might be able to actually attract a decent coach.

In short, Dolan needs to hire the right GM let them do their job. It would have to be real GM with a track record of success, not a washed up coach without a day of executive experience. Someone like say.. David Griffin... Oops.
Yes and no. My post was directed toward Fizdale, your response is focused on the Knicks. You make some fair points regarding Dolan. From my perspective, if I were Dolan, I'd have made Fizdale stay through the year, earn his contract, and be miserable in the process. Now they have a total interim placeholder, until they can reorganize management, and let the next GM make his own coaching hire. It is ominous that Dolan's preferred candidate to replace Mills (Ujiri) is an exec over whom Dolan has obsessed after Ujiri twice massively fleeced the Knicks--once in the Anthony trade, and another time in the Bargnani trade. Would Dolan actually give this guy decision-making autonomy, or try to hike his leg on him in a show of power?

I actually think that Dolan forced Mills/Perry to dismiss their hire as a message to THEM that he's not convinced of their plan, and that further changes are forthcoming. Perry will be next, and Mills, by virtue of his pathologically close relation to Dolan, will likely be 'promoted' to a position in management where he can do less damage.

Supposedly, the Donnie Walsh hiring was made at the behest of David Stern, in the wake of the Anucha Brown-Sanders settlement. Walsh was supposed to enjoy significant autonomy, which lasted until the ill-fated roster-gutting to acquire Carmelo Anthony, who would've been available in the off season without having to give up Gallinari et al.

Similarly, Jackson, hired upon Mills' recommendation, was supposed to have even more latitude to operate. He wanted Kerr as his headcoach, but Dolan reportedly wanted to low-ball Kerr on salary, and Kerr had a competing offer from the Warriors. Jackson's fallback, Derek Fischer, was more of a falldown. Jackson compounded the problem by forcing Fischer to implement an outmoded and archaic offensive scheme (without the benefit of Jordan/Pippen or Shaq/Kobe).

Dolan then reportedly forced Jackson into the re-signing of Anthony, tying up their cap, when the only smart thing to do would've been to let him walk, and look for a better player in FA.

Jackson did manage to make two excellent (almost visionary) draft selections (Porzingis, Ntilikina), but then managed to get crossways with Porzingis, who didn't take to Phil's zenphuckery.

Re-enter Mills, who hired the out-of-his-depth Perry, who has recycled a losing re-build philosophy (The Process 2.0), while recycling many of his own draft mistakes from previous losing stints as GM.

For the most part, Dolan appears to've stayed back, and let Mills/Perry make their own mistakes. But Dolan has become so publicly reviled, that he's looking to hold somewhat acccountable, to deflect blame, and hopefully some of the criticism. As deserved as it was, that's what the Fizdale firing was about.

So fire Perry too, and get rid of Mills, and yes you're still stuck with Dolan. Other than hoping for his early demise, what has caught my attention recently is that the Knicks are said to be currently under-valued by about 30%, with current investors' attempts to acquire a large stake rebuffed by Dolan. Still, when you can frame the problem by quanitifying it in billions of dollars, perhaps Dolan will tire of dealing with the headaches of public enmity, and make a deal that can make him feel like a success as a businessman.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 12-09-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote