Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #1469
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I took that as Cuban trying to save face. And that he didn?t meet with us because our offer (which someone ?leaked?) was 21.5m per year, if I?m remembering right. Of course it may have been a done deal and no amount of money whipping could?ve kept JB from NY. But finding out we are offering that much less, after shopping him at the deadline and not extending him the summer before? It?s possible he was insulted all the way around. Personally I don?t entirely blame him. If we offered nearly equal or more money and he turned it down? different story. As I see it, Cuban didn?t want to pay that much tax and offered him a deal he couldn?t not refuse.
Was that number accurate though? Could have been spoon fed from Brunson's camp. And even then, the overall offer would have been more because of the five years.

But it didn't matter. He wasn't going to stay regardless of the money. He didn't even give us or Miami a meeting. His dad was hired by them and they cleared the space in a nutty way. The deal was already done before we could even throw out a number. And let's say we offered him the max we could offer. Would you really want to do that when the guy doesn't want to play for you? And even then, he probably turns it down because he wants to be in NY. Might make Cuban look even worse and desperate.

You aren't going to see me defend Cuban as he screws up plenty, but the FO wanted him and Brunson wanted to go to NY. That's all that really matters at the end of the day.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote