Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2022, 08:54 AM   #1470
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Was that number accurate though? Could have been spoon fed from Brunson's camp. And even then, the overall offer would have been more because of the five years.

But it didn't matter. He wasn't going to stay regardless of the money. He didn't even give us or Miami a meeting. His dad was hired by them and they cleared the space in a nutty way. The deal was already done before we could even throw out a number. And let's say we offered him the max we could offer. Would you really want to do that when the guy doesn't want to play for you? And even then, he probably turns it down because he wants to be in NY. Might make Cuban look even worse and desperate.

You aren't going to see me defend Cuban as he screws up plenty, but the FO wanted him and Brunson wanted to go to NY. That's all that really matters at the end of the day.
I don?t disagree with any of this. We may never know who leaked the figures. All I know is no one in the Mavs camp denied those numbers. But I agree he wanted NY and was likely to leave no matter what. At the same time it can also be true that Cuban cheaped out and lowballed him, essentially assuring his departure. My reasoning for believing this to be true is we never heard another figure reported and the difference was enough that Cuban could be certain he wouldn?t take the offer. I think the Knicks tampered, Brunson?s camp could?ve handled things better AND Cuban didn?t want to pay that much luxury tax. I think it would?ve been something like between 120-$140 million if I?m remembering right. I think they telegraphed a low number pretty early in the process purposefully. Although plain old incompetence could be or toy to blame too? that they somehow didn?t see the Knicks as a serious threat until it was too late. Even I don?t think Cuban is that big a moron that he thought Jalen would choose Dallas at a starting salary of almost 5 million less per. The extra year might not even be appealing to Jalen. He hits FA again at age 30 after his Knicks deal.

Last edited by mac222b; 09-09-2022 at 08:58 AM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote