View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #54
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Got this from clutchfans:

Expecting a fight from Sterling? I have no idea.

Polling owners, what support to do you have to force a sale? Didn't poll the owners. Spoke to a few and I have their full support.

Authority to force a sale? Owners have authority to 3/4 vote to remove him has owner.

NBA hasn't done anything until today. Why? Can't speak to past actions. When evidence was brought to the NBA, we acted.

Lose a team over remarks shared in private? Private or not, they are now public and represent his views.

When did you decide? I decided this morning this was the appropriate action.

Process will begin immediately.

Sterling own up to this immediately? What has he expressed? Mr. Sterling acknowledged it was his voice and has not expressed to me directly any other views.

Message for the Clippers and their fans? My message is that the league is far bigger than any one owner, coach or player. I have complete confidence in Doc Rivers and basketball management.

Punishment designed to get the message across to Sterling that there is nothing to be gained from continued ownership? Did you take into account his past behavior? We did not take into account his past behavior.

What specific violation and forced sale, what covers that? The lawyers will lay that out for you.

NBA considering more African-American ownership at this point? Always open to ownership from all races, ethnicity, nationalities.

Magic Johnson? He knows he's welcome as an owner in this league.

Talk to any players before you came to this decision? Players have any recourse if they don't want to play for Sterling? I had a chance to talk to Chris Paul, Doc Rivers, players of the team. I believe the players will be satisfied. If a player doesn't want to play for the Clippers, we'll deal with that when that happens but not my sense of where we're at right now.

New rules in place for owners? Not sure. We're always willing to take a fresh look. We have appropriate rules in place to cover a situation like this.

In past cases, has Sterling been fined or suspended for racial remarks? Never fined or suspended by the league. While there have been rumors and cases filed, he was sued and did settle with the DOJ.

Elgin Baylor concerns not concern you? It concerned us greatly. Ultimately, Baylor did not prevail in that litigation.

I would say those marketing partners of the Clippers and NBA should judge us by this response to this incident.

Mr. Sterling's family will be allowed to remain in the league? No decisions about other members of the Sterling family. This ruling applies to Donald Sterling and Sterling's conduct only.

Financial impact from this scandal? I don't know. This has happened in 3 days. Hopeful there is no long term damage to the Clippers/NBA. I'm outraged so I can understand their outrage. I'll do my best to bring them back in the NBA family.

Lifetime ban is instituted. That is independent of the sale.

When I first heard it, I was shocked. I was hoping it was fraudulent or doctored. I've know Donald for over 20 years. We immediately investigated and let's get to the bottom of it.

I've had multiple conversations with Kevin Johnson and hope the actions today satisfy our players and they should.

Interactions been like with Sterling over those 20 years? Seen or felt anything like this? I have not been that close to him but nothing in his behavior to see these kind of views. There have been public findings but nothing firsthand that he held the views that were expressed on these audio recordings.

My response was as a human being. It wasn't anger but somberness. I felt strongly for that team. For those players and coaches to do what they need to do and play at the highest level and this hanging over, I had a certain sadness. Regardless of religion, this is hurtful.

Anytime during your conversation did he express remorse or denial? Not directly to me.

Clippers granted FA? Not something we're considering.

If you don't get 3/4 vote, possible Donald is absentee owner profiting? I fully expect the support from the other owners to remove him.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote