View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #79
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Can't hold the teams Shaq faced in the finals as a mark against him. You're only responsible to play in your own era. And the simple fact is that once Shaq learned the league (post Hakeem taking baby Shaq to his knee)...he dominated all comers.
I'm not trying to hold it against him, as in discounting his titles. I'm just trying to put the help Magic and Bird got into proper perspective. Yes, they played with multiple HOF players. But they were also battling teams with multiple HOF players to get the title. The advantage isn't as pronounced as it seems by simply saying "look at all the help Magic had". He didn't have any more help than Bird, Moses or Isiah. Shaq had more help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I know the West that Magic's Lakers dominated wasn't so strong in the 80's...it was clearly the Lakers and everybody else. Bird's Celts did get some competition from some stout Sixers and Bucks teams...but still not to the same level of overall talent of that of his Celtics.
Yeah the 80's West was pretty weak. But Magic still had to beat a team with multiple HOF players for each title. I think the Celtics had a tougher road in the East with the Sixers and Celtics, and I don't think it's a coincidence that Bird has less Finals appeareances and titles.

And why would you choose Shaq over Hakeem? How exactly was he more dominant? Are you only considering offense? Because Shaq clearly played with more help than Hakeem and Hakeem's peak (94/95) was higher than Shaq's. Mainly 95. I never saw Shaq look as dominant as Hakeem looked in the 95 postseason.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote