View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #58
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys Trading Nose Tackle Ferguson To Dolphins

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys and Dolphins have swapped staff members since Bill Parcells took over as Miami's vice president of football operations. Now defensive tackle Jason Ferguson is headed to South Florida in an off-season trade between the two interconnected clubs.

The Cowboys are trading Ferguson to the Dolphins for a 2009 sixth-round pick, and the teams will swap sixth-rounders this year. Dealing Ferguson creates a $3.25 million salary cap hit for the Cowboys but ultimately clears about $2.4 million because his 2008 figure would've been $5.62 million, including a $4 million base salary. The exchange in sixth-round picks means the Cowboys will pick first in that round because of the Dolphins' season-worst 1-15 record.

The Cowboys on Thursday night re-signed Pro Bowl left tackle Flozell Adams to a six-year, $43.8 million deal that includes $15 million in guarantees. Pro Bowl free safety Ken Hamlin received the $4.396 million franchise designation, and the Cowboys also tendered Pro Bowl running back Marion Barber ($2.56 million), defensive end Chris Canty ($2.017 million) and guard Joe Berger ($907,000).

All these moves have consumed right at $13 million of the team's available cap space. The $2.4 million cap relief now gives the Cowboys roughly $4 million to potentially address positions like cornerback, running back and wide receiver.

Ferguson, an 11-year veteran, signed a five-year deal with Dallas in 2005 that included $9 million in guarantees. He missed nearly the entire 2007 season with a torn biceps tendon suffered in the regular-season opener against the Giants, however, and became expendable when Jay Ratliff filled in capably for the final 15 games and signed a five-year, $20.5 million extension in December.

"You know and I know this was going to happen," the 33-year-old Ferguson told David Smoak of KTBB-AM (Tyler, Texas), referring to his days in Dallas being numbered once Ratliff fortified the nose tackle spot with 15 quarterback pressures, four tackles for loss and three sacks.

"For three years I played for a team that I grew up loving and had to root for if I was going to stay in my father's home. I wish we could have finished the deal but no question my teammates and I in Dallas left a lot of stones on the field."

Ferguson will take a physical when he returns from a family vacation in Jamaica. He'll be entering a familiar setting in Miami and could start for a struggling Dolphins team in search of veteran defensive help after clearing more than $40 million in cap room this off-season.

Parcells drafted Ferguson in the seventh round with the Jets back in 1997 and coached him for five seasons, including two in Dallas from 2005-06. Ferguson provided an ideal fit for Parcells' switch to the 3-4 scheme in 2005 and was one of three free agents (Anthony Henry, Marco Rivera) the Cowboys signed in one day to a whopping $30 million in total guarantees.

"Knowing I'm going to Miami with Bill Parcells makes the transition much easier," Ferguson said.

Ferguson started 22 of 33 games with the Cowboys, recording 106 tackles, six tackles for loss and one sack. The club's younger defensive players often credited him for being a positive, upbeat influence in the locker room, and Ratliff said Ferguson provided weekly advice on match-ups after his injury.

His departure makes Tank Johnson the likely backup to Ratliff. Johnson signed with the Cowboys last September and played in the final nine games after serving an eight-game NFL suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy. He will make $605,000 in '08, the final year of the two-year deal he signed last year with the Cowboys. The Cowboys also signed defensive tackle Junior Siavii to their Reserve/Future list in January.

Reeves Drawing Interest

Free-agent cornerback Jacques Reeves was expected to visit the Houston Texans on Friday, and New Orleans, Kansas City and St. Louis also are believed to be interested in the four-year veteran.

Reeves started 13 games last season because of injuries to Terence Newman and Anthony Henry, recording a career-high 67 tackles and 14 pass breakups. He's one of four unrestricted free agents on the Cowboys' roster along with running back Julius Jones, safety Keith Davis and cornerback Nate Jones.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote