View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #91
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
What "right" does the student have to get on a public address system at a high school game and vocally pray?
In the case I'm referring to, the student had been elected as chaplain of the student council.

Quote:
does the prayer "work" because it's over a PA system? no, if that is how you define "how prayer works" then it is you who I suggest doesn't understand "how prayer works".
Would you quit with this debate tactic already? This makes about the 4th post in a row where you've responded by creating a strawman and knocking it down. I suppose I could say, "Mavdog, are you saying that you like watching young boys kiss older men? If you do, I'd suggest that you are a pervert."

Anyway, you don't know how prayer works because when I pray out loud, even in your presence, that doesn't mean you are participating in the prayer.

Quote:
that is the "publicly" praying that isn't protected. that isn't "freedom of religious expression", that is forcing the beliefs of the student on all those who are forced to hear the prayers.
The student was in an elected position (elected by the students) as a chaplain. If a Muslim had been elected, they could have prayed to Allah.

You are so programmed by the liberal mindset that you actually believe the nonsense you say. If I pray in your presence, am I somehow forcing my belief in God and Jesus Christ on you? Give me a break.

Quote:
one's "faith" shouldn't rest on the need to pray into a PA system.
I agree with that, but you're missing the point. Government should not make the determination what does and doesn't constitute a valid form of religious expression unless one person is somehow infringing upon the rights of another to religiously express themselves.

Quote:
the student can pray, they can even do so aloud if they wish, they don't have the right to broadcast that out unless the event is one of a religious nature.
I disagree. The dissenting few have the right not to be forced to worship a god they don't believe in, but they don't have the right to silence the freedom of speech and religious expression of those who do believe.

Quote:
each citizen has the right to pray, each citizen has the right to not be forced to listen to someone's religious expression when they wish to attend a public non-religious event...such as a high school football game.
The dissenter does not have the right to silence the majority.