View Single Post
Old 04-29-2004, 02:38 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Ground-breaking USA Today Mavs Article

<q>Tell me who you would rather have a guy that has five more years on his deal or one guy that has one. </q>

I'd rather have raef and Jiri with Raef's 5 year contract than Walker and Delk in day of the week. Contracts mean little if you're A) over the cap even minus the contract and B) probably won't have hardly anyone wanting to trade for an expiring contract.

I have a feeling that the Mavs won't be able to trade Walker for anything of value before the season starts next year. In that case I'd be for just cutting Walker and eating his contract. That would have never been the case with Raef. Raef was far from perfect, but at least he could shoot the ball well from 3pt line, shoot FT's well, and didn't try to do too much. Raef was a very good shot blocker, and while foul prone that was OK. Because nothing would be an improvement over Walker.

If this team can get Ostertag as a FA and a coach that will play a Tag/Bradley rotation for most of the minutes and center as well as stress playing on both sides of the ball, the Mavs will be a dramatically improved team defensively. Daniels and Howard won't be rookies next year either which will help tremendously. Let Dirk play the 4 spot exclusively, and I think that we will see great improvement from him defensively with a coach who will actually coach him there. Get rid of Walker, and the mismatches he causes us to have on D and we'll see even more improvement.

But actually acquiring Walker may be the best move Nellie ever made for the Mav because hopefully it will lead to Nellie being sent packing.