View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #99
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't watch a ton of Marion last year, but here's a couple statistical facts:

1) the year of the Shaq trade, his statistical production in Phoenix was every bit as good as it had been in previous seasons, and then it dropped off rather precipitously post-trade

2) while his statistical production this last year was poor at SF, it was outstanding at PF

The first point is noteworthy because it supports the argument that the drop in his stats of late reflects the fact that the systems he was playing in, and players he was playing with, simply weren't nearly as good a fit for him as they were in Phoenix.

The second is arguably concerning because he performed poorly as a SF, but at the same time reassuring because if his athleticism were failing him I'd expect his ability to play the PF slot to fall off first (owing to his relative lack of height). If you're looking for one stat that's particularly hopeful, his rebound rate at PF in Miami last year was 15.2 per 48 minutes, and in Toronto it was 16.5 per 48 minutes. Those are not the kind of numbers that I'd expect from an undersized guy who's lost his athleticism.