View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
No, I get what you are trying to do. What I am asking is whether you think the stat you end up with is going to be (much) more meaningful than the RB% stats that already exist.

You might even ask whether you are making the info less meaningful when you combine offensive and defensive numbers into one singular number.
I'm gonna use a comparison to OPS+ in baseball, because I think it's a meaningful comparison. Both statistics are conglomerations of independent statistics (on-base percentage and slugging percentage), which are then normalized (by position, in OPS+'s case) to give a single measure of a player's offensive abilities. Is OPS+ more meaningful than just looking at OBP or SLG?

This is a combination of independent statistics, which are normalized to give a single measure of a team's overall rebounding abilities. I think there is value in that kind of a number, because I don't think it requires any other context. An REB+ of 115 will tell that this is a good rebounding team, and you don't have to know anything else to know that. Rebounding percentages are obviously the meat that make up that number, but rebounding percentages aren't very useful if you're not also given how those percentages compare with those of other teams.