View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #107
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I definitely agree that people are nuts to compare the Jefferson deal to the Gasol deal.

However, downplaying the significance of the Jefferson deal and how it effects us is very naive, in my opinion.

The Bucks and the Wizards were two teams that people thought might be willing to shed salary and give away a good player. Both of those teams are now off the market. And Richard Jefferson makes the Spurs MUCH, MUCH better. So a direct rival has just gotten significantly better.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority but I'd have been perfectly happy to have the Stackhouse chip cashed in for Jefferson, used the MLE on a contributor, re-signed Bass and Kidd and gone to work next season with the knowledge that Josh is probably going to play out of his mind and that Damp is a fantastic trade chip over the next year+.

I have absolutely no expectation that Stack is going to net a better player than Jefferson, and based on Mark's recent comments and the fact that I haven't heard of the Mavs even SNIFFING this Jefferson deal has me very, very concerned that we're about to experience the biggest let down of an offseason in recent history.

So call me a whiner if you want. I am absolutely NOT the guy that over reacts to ever little trade that the Spurs or anyone else does. I'm usually the person on the other side explaining why it wasn't a good fit for the Mavs. But I have a very bad feeling about this offseason right now.
I actually called it a "Gasol-like deal" (no offense... ), yet I didn't mean to compare Jefferson to Gasol or vice versa. However, it's one of those deals where one rival gets significantly better without giving up anything of value. In that sense it could be considered an acquisition that is close to what the Lakers did last year. I could be wrong, but this might be the kind of trade where you look back six months later and think, "Wow, I wish we could have done something like that".

I can understand why you, Thespiralgoeson, would be frustrated at some board members for being a little too fatalistic. Personally, I don't have any interest in judging our trade season before it even started either.

With that said, jthig32 pointed out the reasons why this deal presents a lot of question marks as it relates to our men in charge. Perhaps they'll be able to add other good players and make this a successful offseason. If they didn't, the Jefferson deal would be ideal to base future FO criticism on.

Stack for Jefferson would have been perfectly fine with me. Not only because of his qualities, but also because of the negative effect on the Spurs, one of our toughest opponents.

In addition, we could have (probably successfully) offered Josh for Kaman and have a lineup of Kaman/Dirk/Jefferson/Wright/Kidd. Damp and the MLE would still be there to get two nice contributors.

Last edited by dalger; 06-24-2009 at 08:51 AM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote