View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And who would predict that Joe Johnson or epic failure of Orlando management would have won the day? You're mad because Cuban took risks, but keeping the 2011 team together is just as much of a risk. We live in a superstar team era now and teams will do anything to get them. Just look at Houston gutting their roster for a primed example of that. Houston had a better offer for Orlando and look where it got them. What if Orlando doesn't want Tyson Chandler had the Mavs kept him? Then the Mavs are screwed in cap hell with little way to improve themselves. Risks are risks are risks are risks. It hasn't played out well, but getting mad at Cuban is misguided. He TRIED to get Deron and Dwight.
Agree 100%. I seriously don't get the perception among so many Mavs fans that keeping the 2011 squad together was anything but a bad idea. That roster accomplished a wonderful, wonderful thing, but it was not going to even come remotely close to duplicating that success. It boggles my mind that people seem to actually think that simply holding onto Tyson Chandler would have kept us in the title hunt. Frankly I think we'd be only marginally better on the court. Even with Chandler, we're still a mediocre team, and we still have to rebuild completely in the next couple of years; the only difference is that with Chandler, we have no room to maneuver and are stuck in mediocrity for a considerably longer time.

Rolling the dice on Deron/Dwight was the only logical choice. They took a shot and they missed. It sucks. But the way I see it, the Mavs had very, very little to lose. At least this way they can still take another shot in the near future.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote