View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #84
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/718913555194580992
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...winning-streak

Article by Sefko.
Quote:

LOS ANGELES - Wesley Matthews sees a bright future for rookie Justin Anderson - as long as he figures out how to control his one glaring weakness.

“He’s got to shut up a little bit more,” Matthews said of the recently promoted member of the Mavericks’ starting lineup. “He’s got people who care about him. He’s got all the physical tools you could ask for. Unfortunately, he doesn’t shut up.”

Anderson definitely is a talker. He is never afraid to say what’s on his mind on the practice floor, in the locker room or just about anywhere else. And his teammates tend to let him know when he gets a little too vocal.

“(Matthews) always tells me that,” Anderson said. “But he knows I’m not going to back down. I’m going to challenge those guys and I like to talk a lot. I’ve slowed it down some because they do this thing where if I keep talking, they wrestle me five against one and get me on the ground and I just have to surrender. So, I realized my lesson real quick.”

It’s all in good fun, of course. But what’s a pro sports team if there can’t be some harmless rookie hazing?

All of that ends, of course, when the games begin. And since getting in the starting lineup at Denver on March 28, Anderson has not lost. The Mavericks’ six-game winning streak matches their longest of the season.

During the streak, Anderson has averaged 9.2 points and 7.2 rebounds while playing about 28 minutes per game.

He’s given the Mavericks something to talk about, if nothing else, not to mention the fact that they are one win (or one Houston loss) from clinching a playoff berth.

The Mavericks have their eyes set on the No. 6 playoff seed and a first-round matchup with Oklahoma City largely because of the energy and production Anderson has provided.

“I’ve been staying in his ear, telling him not to worry about (things),” Raymond Felton said of Anderson’s rookie season that has included 27 games when he didn’t play. “There’s a lot of guys who have been through this. I told him to just stay professional and you’ll get your moment. He got his opportunity and he’s doing great. I’m proud of him.”

Anderson admits there were times when he was jumping back and forth from the NBA Development League Texas Legends in Frisco to the Mavericks when he wasn’t sure he’d ever get a legitimate shot to contribute as a rookie.

Then he remembered one thing: he’s a rookie.

“Some days, you have (doubts),” he said. “But others, you look in the mirror and say: you’re a small-town kid from Montross, Virginia, you got to be thankful for every opportunity, just to be suited up was a huge deal to me. Or even in a suit on the bench. I always tried to stay optimistic and keep my eyes on the prize.

“It was tough times, but what’s a rookie year if you don’t have some ups and downs? So it’s good to look back and see my growth.”

To say the least, Anderson never acted like he had any sense of entitlement after being drafted 21st last June.

Instead, he’s earned things slow and steady, which is exactly the way coach Rick Carlisle likes it.

“He’s rebounding well, he’s defending well on the ball and his shot-making was there (Friday vs. Memphis),” Carlisle said. “He’s staying with the process.”

As Matthews said: “He’s playing off pure adrenaline. He’s staying within himself and making plays that are there. And he’s slowing himself down. He’s made some big energy plays for us and he’s going to have to continue to do that.”

And as for the chatter? Matthews said it’s something they stay on Anderson about.

But as long as his actions on the court speak louder than his words, they can live with it.
I know I'm all in on the Simba fan club, but Idk how him talking is a negative if it's being used in the way described. I thought Wes basically does the same thing? I actually don't want him to stop if it's being used as Simba is describing.

--Edit--
I quoted the whole thing, if it needs to be condensed I'll do so- otherwise just click the 2nd link to provide the appropriate click to author.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 04-09-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote