View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #412
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Yeah, but what are you supposed to do? The three pointer is the most effective shot and you can't really blame teams for trying to maximize that fact. Imho it's all about competitive balance and not giving superstars the leverage they have right now. All those bs calls, ignored travels, superteams...

It's good for "show", but you have to realize that all of this leads to lopsided results and less thrill, even if two of the better teams like GSW and HOU meet in the playoffs.
Oh it's definitely not the teams' fault at all. Their job is to win. I think the NBA needs to take a good long look at the rules, and loosen them up a little so players are actually allowed to play defense again, and study ways to make the game less centered around the three. Wishful thinking, I know.

Superstars having leverage seems like a completely different issue- particularly "superteams." Frankly, I think people seem to have pretty short memories about this. People seem to think that Lebron invented the superteam when joined Miami, but superteams are as old as the NBA itself. There's been at least one superteam every decade- usually either the Lakers or Celtics. Russell's Celtics won 11 titles in 13 years. Wilt joined a Lakers team that already had Elgin Baylor and Jerry West. The Lakers and the Celtics were both the definition of superteams in the 80s- every single finals of that entire decade featured one or both of them, with eight titles between them. Was Lebron joining the Heat with his friends really anymore egregious than when the Lakers as defending champions had the first pick in the draft? A team that was already a dynasty was handed a future Hall of Famer. Hell, the Celtics almost had the same deal and might have won several more titles if Len Bias hadn't died of a cocaine overdose two days after he was drafted. Did Shaq and Kobe not constitute a superteam? Or how about when they signed Gary Payton and Karl Malone? Or when the Celtics got KG and Ray Allen in the same offseason? Or how about when the Lakers got Pau Gasol- a borderline franchise player- for Kwame f*cking Brown? I think Jordan's Bulls would fit anyone's definition of a superteam- at the very least after they picked up Rodman. Every decade has had at least one superteam. I might even argue that superteams are the defining theme of NBA history.

How do you stop players from signing where they want to sign? I hate that Durant signed with GSW as much as anybody, I can't sit here and say that he shouldn't have the right to play wherever he wants to play. I don't think restricting player movement is going to improve the product.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote