View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 02:52 AM   #432
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
The 91-93 Bulls consisted of Jordan, Pippen and these guys who played every game of the playoffs:
Horace Grant
Bill Cartwright
John Paxson
BJ Armstrong
Craig Hodges
Will Perdue
Cliff Levingston
Scott Williams
Stacey King
Trent Tucker

The 96-98 Bulls consisted of Jordan, Pippen, and now Rodman, plus
Toni Kukoc
Ron Harper
Luc Longley
Steve Kerr
Bill Wennington
Bison Dele
Scott Burrell

I don't consider either of those to be super-teams as of today. I give the vast amount of credit to Jordan and Phil, then a significant to Pippen and much smaller to Rodman. Other than those, it's role players who were coached or led to play above themselves.

You drop KD and Curry from GS, then Jordan and Pippen from the Bulls, and the Warriors would destroy the Bulls.

That's about all I got so I'll quit there and give you the last thoughts/rebuttal.
I think we're again just quibbling over the definition of what is a "superteam." You say it's not a superteam because it was all about Jordan and Phil... I'm saying they were the superteam of that decade, because they utterly dominated that decade. I don't care if its one superstar or a bunch of role players, or 3 superstars and no role players... Hell, Jordan was a "superteam" by himself, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm saying that team as a whole with every guy playing their part was the- in my opinion- the best team ever. Those role players- the Kerr's, Cartwright's, Paxson's, and Kukoc's of those Bulls teams all played their roles perfectly. They did exactly what they needed to do, no more, no less.

I agree that the current Warriors without Curry and Durant would destroy the Bulls without MJ and Pippen. I don't care about that though. All I care about is which team would win with both teams at full strength. I'd put the 1996 Bulls against the 2018 Warriors any day. Since we can't do that, all we can do is look at what each team has done in their respective era. Jordan's Bulls won 6 titles in 8 years- and I firmly believe it would have been eight consecutive titles if Jordan hadn't left to play baseball. They also never at any point in that entire decade lost more than 2 games in a row. That seems impossible... But it happened. The current Warriors are still early in their run, but I don't think they will ever reach that peak. No other team has dominated the league that way in the modern era (Russell's Celtics don't count. The sport was in its infancy.) THAT is what I mean when I say that Jordan's Bulls were the greatest team ever- and the most super of all superteams.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote