View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #55
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydhypedplaya

I just dont understand all these people who say that Dirk is wayyyyyy better than KG on offense. I mean I seriously do not think they watch basketball beyond the Mavs games. Well I took both KG's and Dirk's best statistical season and compared them side by side, and as you can see on offense there is not much of a difference. Dirk scored 2pts more a game, and they both averaged 18shots a game. In this particular season KG had a better fg% than Dirk, but I'm not blind I know that Dirk is the better all around shooter. So yes I do give Dirk the nod on offense as being the better offensive player, but he is not that much better than KG. All the people who say that KG does not get doubled team seriously do not watch KG play much. All the people that say if KG was so great then he should have led his team out of the first round more than once do not realize that KG has never been surrounded by the talent that Dirk has through out his career. Dallas has been a great team for a REALLY REALLY long time, year after year Dallas has had a great team. The same way teams plan defensively for Dirk, they do the same exact thing for KG.
No, they don't.

Quote:
Especially when KG played for Minny and was the only person who could hurt them in any way during a game. I mean when he played for Minny they didn't have to prepare for anybody on that team except for KG. So on the offensive end Dirk gets the nod, but KG is not far behind him. While on defense KG has always anchored his team on defense. The guy is just a spectacular defender and can guard all sorts of players, something Dirk could never even dream of doing. (Yes Dirk has become a better defender, but you still cant put him in the same sentence as KG on defense.) KG can and does change the game on the defensive end, he asserts his will on the game through his defense, and he is capable of doing the same thing on offense. (But Dirk is more capable than KG in asserting his will on the offensive end) There is a reason Boston became one of the best defensive teams in the league right when KG came to their team.
Again, the stats you whipped out don't tell the whole story (or much of a story at all). And yes, I do watch Garnett on a regular basis, have for most of his career, and I'm telling you right now, on the scoring end of things, he doesn't have nearly the same impact that Dirk does. It's more than ppg, or fg%. It's like endrity said, when was the last time you saw the Spurs (or anyone else for that matter) throw their entire gameplan out the window and start from scratch to figure out how to handle Kevin Garnett? It's never happened. And please, if you're going to throw numbers at us, give us something that actually tells us how they impact the game. TS%, +/-, PER etc...

Quote:
Please people put your homerism aside and look at these two players objectively.
I am, I have, and I'm telling you right now, when you measure the impact they both have on the game, they're about equal, but I'll give Dirk the edge. Why do we say Dirk is "waaaayyyy" better than Garnett on offense? Because he is. The way you say Dirk and Garnett can't be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to defense, the same can be said about the two players on the offensive end. Only, as someone else mentioned earlier, I would actually say the gap between the two of them is smaller defensively than it is offensively.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-30-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote