View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #1682
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I love the colors. No argument there.

But can someone explain to me this love affair Mavs fans seem to have with that stupid logo featuring an "M" wearing a cowboy hat???

Vomit.
Seriously??? I love the old logo too. Way more than the horse thing.

I can't speak for everyone else, but the reason I love the old logo and wish we would go back to it, or at least an updated version of it, I suppose it just has to do with what I look for in sports teams' identity or branding or whatever you want to call it.

I want my sports teams' names and logos/jerseys/courts/fields etc... to have A: be evoke a sense of civic pride, B: have a timeless appeal. "Classic" to me is way more important than cool.

The old logo and colors pushes those right buttons for me. It evokes a sense of the city and region (not just the "cowboy" theme, but also the green and blue color scheme were inspired by the sight of bluebonnets on green grass- a very common sight in DFW). It also evokes the history of the franchise itself (yes, the hat is an ode to Don Carter). It's old, but to me it doesn't look dated. The current logo, which is about 20 years younger, ironically to me is the one that looks very dated. It looks very much of its time. It looks very much like something from the early 2000s, trying way too hard to be cool and edgy.

This is all in the eye of the beholder of course, but I also just find the old logo pleasing in its simplicity, where as the current one is incredibly "busy" and just kind of a mess. I love simplicity in my sports logos. Simple very often correlates with iconic. Look at all the greatest, most storied franchises in pro-sports. Cowboys logo, Yankees, Red Sox, Packers, Steelers, Giants, Lakers, Celtics (I'm thinking the simple clover rather than Lucky the Leprechaun...) All very minimalist. Simple. Iconic. Classic. Instantly recognizable, and I bet if you tried to change any one of them, all of those fanbases would revolt. I realize the Mavs' history isn't as storied as those other franchises, but if Luka ends up bringing multiple championships here (god willing), I would much rather it be with the simple "M' than with the blue/white/black horse/basketball/shield thing.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 10-30-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote