View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #1687
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Well, I'm 42 years old, and I hate it. Not only is it not an impressive piece of graphic art,
I mean, again, the best, most iconic sports logos are all ridiculously simple. Not one of them is what I would consider "impressive graphic art." The Cowboys logo is just a star. The Packers logo is just a G. Lakers logo is just a basketball that literally just says "Lakers." And so on...

Quote:
but it plays into every ridiculous stereotype the world has for Dallas and Texas, in general. People think we literally ride horses to work.
I mean, I kinda feel you. I used to feel the exact same way, actually. But my tastes have changed as I've gotten older. Today, I don't think plays into a stereotype any more than the Cowboys being called the Cowboys.

It's an identity. Anything is better than nothing. Even if it's not totally true, I'd rather be known for riding horses to work than nothing at all and have some generic non-identity like the Hawks or the Kings or something.

And if we're being totally honest with ourselves... the stereotype exists for a reason. There is some truth to it. We may not ride horses to work, but... a hell of a lot of people in DFW do drive pickup trucks. And the DFW metroplex does include a hell of a lot of tiny towns that are pretty damn podunk.

That's part of what makes DFW an interesting place. It's incredibly diverse. If there are two Americas, we have both of them in equal measure. I live in Denton, which is college town with a hell of a lot liberals and hipster types. I drive through town and I'm surrounded by sushi restaurants and vape shops. And yet, literally right on the other side of i-35, less than five minutes away is Argyle, which is tiny a little town conservative town with seemingly nothing but antique shops and mom-and-pop gas stations. And right outside of my own neighborhood is a ranch with cattle and horses. So while I might not ride a horse to work, I do see horses (and cows) on my way to work every day.

Dallas itself is quite modern and cosmopolitan, but the many of the smaller communities that comprise the larger DFW metroplex are right out of King of the Hill.

That's why if I could choose the Mavs logo, I wouldn't just bring back the old logo, but rather I'd have an updated version of it. Something that is basically the same but just a tiny bit more modern- maybe a different font and slightly different shades of blue and green. And I would really love to keep incorporating the Dallas skyline into the uniforms and on the actual court. I want the Mavs' branding to evoke both the old and the new, and to convey that same combination of urban and rural cultural markers that make up DFW.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote