Thread: Prime Time?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 01:44 PM   #22
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Prime Time?

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
I would pick Deion in his prime easily over any Cowboy CB. But today's version is a shell of that, and yes I think that Newman today is the better CB. Now as to the use of the #5. Why a LB or DE? Maybe a DE, and get a vet CB -- but LB. They have 4 very quality LB's on the team now, that are not extremely old.

The needs I see are CB, upgrade at safety (unless Woodson comes back soon), DT, DE (I think Kaleen will be starting next year), and then LB on the defensive side of the ball. Unless their is a Ray Lewis available at #5, then I don't even think of LB. I think if Bill could get a big NT, like Sam Adams or T Washington, they would go 3-4 with Kaleen Thorton as a LB, and Glover/ Ellis as the Ends.

I would like to see them move a 2nd rounder to Miami for Ricky Williams, and see what they could do. (not sure it would happen, but I think they should offer it -- if Bill thinks he could work with Ricky)

Tight End -- covered....Witten and Campbell with a backup will be enough
QB -- Untested Henson - with high enough pick, take another one maybe
O Linemen - maybe need 2 more.
Rec -- have 3, need a couple more
RB - have questions...JJ can be good - maybe, Anderson is not a game breaker but good, Barnes OK, Eddie is a shell of himself (see Deion), Lee has some pop, but I guess I have been spoiled by TDorsett and ESmith.

DT - have one, need another
DE - have one, and one speed rusher, one fairly good....but could use upgrade
LB - have 4-5, don't need unless their is a monster on the board
Safety- have 1, have a great vet (who is injured), and need at least one more better than Dixon
CB - have one in Newman who is still learning.........need 2-3 more. Maybe some of them that were drafted, but you are correct, a good Vet here would sure help .
You would pick Deion in his prime over any Cowboys CB today??? Really??? How about over any CB that has ever played the game of football... Deion was the BEST CB in the history of football IMO... He may not have been a great tackler, but he was the most talented and gifted CB that has suited up in the NFL, (again, IMO)... We will just have to agree to disagree on Newman being better than Deion now...

Regarding why I would select a LB, I would answer that Ngyuen is a pretty damn good LB, but certainly not a top-tier LB... He is no Urlacher/Lewis/Arrington... We have a great LB class in this years draft and would possibly have the opportunity to get, as you said, a Ray Lewis-like LB... Coakley by the way IS old, and James is certainly not in the class of Ngyuen... With that said, as we age I think getting a dominant LB is necessary, (same as DT as you mentioned, but I personally think we need a LB more than a DT with the way Glover is playing and the way Carson and others are filling in)...

The other needs you mentioned can be answered in the lower rounds of the draft and with free agency... If you have an opportunity to get a guy to anchor your defense for years to come, you almost always want that guy to be a LB or a CB... The fact of the matter is that the CB class for next year will be fairly weak with a few exceptions, but the LB class will be terrific, (assuming a few guys come out that I expect will)... I say get the LB with Buffalo's pick and either a DE or CB with the Cowboys 1st rounder... Then address the other needs based on what is available when they pick... Whatever they can't address with the draft, they can with free agency... We should have a pretty good amount of cash available to us at the end of the year and I hope we really use it this year...

Regarding Ricky - NO PLEASE!!!