View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #113
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
As far as the salary match, Billups does not have a salary if he opts out. Lets say that he wants to leave the Pistons and thinks the Mavs is a great spot. He could then, now I am not an expert on this, but lets say that he agrees to a 1 year deal with a player option to be traded to the Mavs. Billups could accept the MLE for one year, and let the Mavs match that or any salary to get Harris. Pistons get a good PG back, and is not locked into a big contract with Harris. I know this is a stretch, but I am just pointing out something that could/maybe happen.
First of all, this is NOT what you were talking about when you opened this thread.

Second, this is a LUDICROUS "possibility", and I use that term very loosely.

Do you really think Billups would opt out of his contract and take LESS money than what he would have gotten in Detroit? That's so insane. Do you realize there are reports out of Milwaukee that they are gearing up to offer him a MAX contract, or something very close to it?

And if Billups DID decide to take so little money, he could simply sign for that tiny amount in Dallas, not do a sign and trade for Harris.

If Billups does a sign and trade, the entire POINT will be to get more money than the MLE, at which point you're talking about sending significant contracts back, probably starting with Terry.

Just for the record, I don't necessarily think it's a ridiculous notion to think the Mavs could somehow get Billups. If things go poorly this seasos, maybe we COULD work out a sign and trade. But we won't have gotten him because Cubes just decided to "break the bank" and sign him outright, and it won't be without sending significant players and contract to Detroit.

That's the point of this thread.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-17-2007 at 11:05 AM.