View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #17
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I agree.

I don't get the whole "education above all" argument. Just doesn't compute. The point of an education is to have the skills/paperwork necessary to get a career and make money.

If someone is offering you enough money to set you up for the rest of your life, what is the point of a degree, other than for symbolic/personal achievement reasons? Why should an industry EVER force someone to finish school? What is the logic there?

If someone had come to me when I was halfway through college and offered to let me learn while on the job, and given me contract to set me for life, would I have had to think about it? Would anyone around here?

I work with a whooole lot of successful people that don't have college degrees, including my manager, and his boss, who is a director of software development in a successful software company. So I really don't get the whole "education is important, everyone should finish school" argument.
Solid points. Not every career out there requires a full 4 years of college. Professional athlete is one of them. If it were possible for extremely gifted medical students to learn all that they needed in 3 years do you think they'd stay in school for 8 or 10, or however long it takes to become a doctor? No freaking way.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote