View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #48
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

There are going to be some very good players available after the CBA kicks in and one should consider that it might not be that difficult to build an excellent team around Dirk in the very near future regardless of what happens to Dwight and DWill. For example:

The Bulls have committed about $55 mill to Boozer, Deng, Noah, and Rose. This leaves virtually nothing for RFAs Asik, and Brewer, and later Gibson, Koerver, and Rip. If the Bulls keep their "Big 4" then they will have to either build around it with vet minimums or go over the cap.

The Heat have committed around $52mill to LeChoke, Diva, and Bosh. This means that Mike Miller, Chalmers, Anthony, Haslem, and Battier are going to get pinched, amnestied (one of the above), waived, or traded.

The Grizzlies have committed around $54 million to ZBo, Rudy Gay, Gasol, and Conley. Tony Allen, OJ Mayo, Speights, and Darrell Arthur will likely be looking for another team.

The Lakers have committed $63 mill to Kobe, Pau, and Bynum.

The Knicks have committed $52 million to Melo, Amare, and Tyson.

The Mavs have committed $36 million to Dirk, Haywood, and Matrix.

Assuming the cap is put around $60 million, I guess, my point is that:
  • The landscape has dramatically changed on how GMs and owners will be able to put competitive teams on the court.
  • Very good players are going to become available in this offseason.
  • Some of the top teams are going to struggle or pay a truckload of money in order to keep their multiple star teams.
  • The Mavs have options, whereas many of the elite teams have committed the lions share of their cap space to two or three players. It could work out fine for these teams barring injury, and/or their ability to attract players for the minimum salary. But the liklihood that these high salaries will restrict the operations of their respective franchises is very high. Time will tell.
  • Those darn Spurs have done a masterful job of controlling salaries, keeping their core, and putting together a great supporting cast. I tip my hat to a great organization.

I'm no expert on the new CBA (far from it), and in fact I don't believe that many really know what will happen in the next two or three years. That includes owners and GMs. My guess is that as the new landscape becomes apparent the Mavs and Spurs will be able to move with the new era of NBA salaries whereas most of the rest of the league will struggle for awhile. Also, consider that if you put some excellent young talent around Dirk (i.e. Asik, Dragic, or Tony Allen) with some seasoned vets (KG; Shane Battier; Steve Nash) you might just catch lightening in a bottle and make another deep playoff run. All is not lost. All does not depend on Dwight or DWill joining the Mavs.

Last edited by purplefrog; 05-29-2012 at 11:25 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote