View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #52
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
That scenario is all good if the Mavs weren't looking to make Dirk the 2nd best player on the team. The Mavs have their sight set on a big fish.
The priority should be to land an elite player. No doubt. But I don't think a "better than Dirk elite player" is a prerequisite to contend for a championship. I've watched Indiana and Denver stay with elite teams in this year's playoff. How many elite players do they have? I also expect at least some of the elite teams will lose supporting cast or trade all-stars due to "cap pressure". Maybe a team that includes three megastars and twelve minimum salary players will rise to the top some years, but perhaps a team with a couple of aging but still talented superstars can be combined with a group of very talented young guns and still make a deep run in the near future. A year ago I wouldn't consider this scenario, but I think the new CBA will change how competitive/championship teams are constructed. Before you discount this possibility imagine Miami with their three stooges and a group of minimum salary guys. Now imagine that DWade has a season ending injury. Who steps in to take his spot? This year you would have a very talented Mike Miller take over and probably still keep the Heat competitive. Miller currently makes around $5-6 Mill. How can the Heat fit that salary under the cap as long as they have their three mega stars? So, maybe they trade or waive Miller and now they are left with James Jones or rookie Terrell Harris to fill in. Your Heat starting lineup is now Jones, Bosh, James, and ??? Can Anthony's or Chalmers' salary fit under the cap? I don't think so. So, are you left with Eddie Curry and Norris Cole? What happens to Haslem and Battier (both making $3-4 Mill)? Do you keep one and trade, amnesty, or waive the other? I'm not sure this is how things will turn out, but it is intriguing when you consider that teams like Miami will either have to pay huge penalties for going over the cap or let go some of their mid range salary guys to fill out a roster.

Maybe, I am way off base here. But it sure seems to me that some of these elite teams are going to struggle and/or their owners will have to demonstrate even deeper pockets in the future. It will be interesting.

Last edited by purplefrog; 05-30-2012 at 05:37 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote