Thread: DMN Notebook
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default DMN Notebook

Nelson likes to play other teams' openers
Mavs coach thinks such road games may be easiest wins of year

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

NEW ORLEANS – Don Nelson has a time-tested theory about games like Wednesday's 106-91 blowout of the New Orleans Hornets.

When his team has already played at least once and is visiting a team playing its home opener, he believes his team's chances for success are extremely high.

"I don't know whether the home team gets a little nervous or there's too much hype or what, but in my years of coaching, getting a win on the road on opening night for the other team is maybe the easiest win of the year," he said.

The Mavericks also won their second game last season when they were playing at Golden State's home opener. In four of the last five seasons, they have won such games.

"When you have a game under your belt and come into another building, I just felt more confident about this game" than Tuesday's opener, Nelson said.

It doesn't hurt when your team shoots 53.8 percent and forces 17 turnovers. For the second game in a row, the Mavericks held their opponent under 42 percent shooting.

School of hard knocks:

Devin Harris has proven himself to the Mavericks, which is why he's in the starting lineup. His next step will be to prove himself to referees.

In the season opener Tuesday, Harris took a hard hit from Sacramento's Brad Miller at the end of the first half. Harris landed on his back, and coach Don Nelson leaped on the court as if he were a cork coming out of a champagne bottle.

"I thought it was flagrant," Nelson said. "If it had been Danny Fortson, he would have gotten a three-game suspension."

The Mavericks took note of the non-call.

"I don't think I had to pay dues like that last year," said Josh Howard, referring to his rookie season.

To his credit, Harris did not gripe about the non-call. He realizes he's going to have to earn the respect of the officiating crew.

Harris played just nine minutes Wednesday because of Jason Terry 's effectiveness.

Briefly:

Shawn Bradley had 16 effective minutes against the Hornets, and his six fouls were well spent. ... This is the 14th time the Mavericks have opened a season with back-to-back games. They are 2-0 for only the third time in those situations. ... Coach Don Nelson said that, barring injuries, he expects to stick with the starting lineup he has used in the first two games. Originally, Marquis Daniels and Jason Terry were penciled in as starters. Instead, they will continue coming off the bench behind Josh Howard and Devin Harris. ... Radio announcer Mark Followill will be in Miami tonight to do play-by-play on the ESPN radio national broadcast of the Heat-Cleveland game. ... The Mavericks may have new competition for worst alternative uniforms. The Hornets wore bright yellow "Mardi Gras" uniforms for their season opener. They were every bit as offensive as the Mavs' gray outfits they wore in last season's opener.