View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 09:13 AM   #5
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Big Contracts for Mavs to Look in a 2-1 or 3-1 Deal

I like the list Gig...thanks.

Now to look at it as to what I believe the Mavs need.

The only guys on the list that I think may be available that might help here are Antonio Davis, Abdur-Rahim, Van Horn, and Tim Thomas.

Before eveybody lines up to squawk about "Shareef is a PF and we don't need anybody to play Dirk's spot" or "Van Horn is a scrub" or "Tim Thomas is a never was nor will be" or even "Antonio Davis is a dinosaur" lets look at this logically from a viewpoint of contract years and what each brings to the table that can help.

The most talented and shortest term and least expensive contract is Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
Is he what we need?
NO...he is a PF/SF who is not much of a defender and has never been on a winning team.
Can he help here?
YES...he likes to play down low on offense and is a bigger version of Jamison...both good and bad. Can back up Dirk or more likely play PF while Dirk plays C...not my favorite idea.

Keith Van Horn
2 years left and the highest $ contract at $14 + million
Is he what we need?
NO...another PF/SF tweener who isn't a defender and has been accussed of being soft by teamates.
Can he help here?
YES...he can score and get some rebounds. As a Dirk backup the talent level wouldn't fall off near as far as when Najera replaces Dirk. Would Nellie start him and Dirk? Probably at least occassionally.

Tim Thomas
2 years and almost $13 million per
Is he what we need?
NO...another PF/SF tweener...more of a big SF. Maddeningly inconsistant...doesn't seem to care much.
Can he help here?
Yes and No...I'm not a big fan of his. If he wants to play he can be a good player but he rarely seems to want to.

Antonio Davis
2 Years $12 million this year
Is he what we need?
YES and No. 2-3 years ago he was exactly what we needed. A PF/C who can and will play tough interior D and rebound and isn't affraid to knock people around. Is 36 yrs old and his shooting has been declining badly the last 2 years. Still got 9 and 7 last season.
Can he help here?
Absolutely! He will provide the toughness that we have been needing for years. He is not the player he once was and may not be able to play as many minutes as before...but if his minutes are managed( and with the depth here they could be) he could help immensely. Would Nellie start him? Probably start him at C with Dirk and then bring in Booth or Bradley to spell him and give a different look. If AD played 30 minutes here and could give us the same 9 and 7 then I would be very happy with that.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote