View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #51
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I agree...but the problem is all these humans.

"soft" and "no defense" are almost catch phrases for "white" in the NBA...just like saying, "Oh he is a find set shooter". I'm not trying to sound like this is something I've spent a ton of time thinking about...but it is only human nature to dislike someone who is better at your game than you are...especially someone who is different than you. It may have more to do with his heritage than his skin color...or maybe its because he is a Maverick....I'll admit that...but there is a reason for the bias against him...and I doubt it has anything to do with how weak his defense used to be. I don't see Mello, Nash, Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton, Antwan Jamison, or Paul Pierce get smashed for their lack of D and they are all stars too.
Who do you think has a bias against Dirk? It's not the players. Most everything I hear from the players with regards to Dirk is complimentary.

Over the past three years the media has voted him first team All-NBA twice and MVP. The coaches put in the All-Star game every year in addition to heaping praise on him.

If there's a bias against Dirk it's coming from the casual fan. The fan who has never voted him an All-Star starter. The majority of those fans are white.