View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDirkulous Tyme View Post
Although Rose is a decade younger, his basketball ability is 100% reliant on his being an explosive, hyper-athlete who is simply faster/stronger/quicker than everyone else on the court. Ergo, he actually has LESS of a chance at recovering from knee surgery to his former-glory than does Dirk. Dirk's game does not rely on athleticism. Although a bit of quickness helps, the fact that Dirk is getting older shouldn't cause his game to decline...YET. He is a player that just needs his rhythm, and health. If he has those 2 things, which he does, there is no reason to expect his game to decline, either this season or next. I feel as though Dirk will be around 38 or late-37 before his game starts to decline. The dude could prolly play til he's 43 if he was motivated to (which he won't).

My rant stems from the fact that the people on these forums have an inability to look at the NBA from a big-picture standpoint. I feel as though people on here don't understand the CBA, don't understand why we let Tyson walk (regardless of the fact that it ENDED UP being the wrong decision), and certainly don't understand the potential of this team, or Dirk's ability to return to form. Some people on these boards know more than me, and its their posts that I actually read and enjoy, but most of you......its ridiculous. And you can discount my opinion all you want, but the fact of the matter is that I'm going to school to be a sports agent, specializing in the NBA. This is my career field, i know what the fuck i'm talking about.

Edit: I'm not saying you all aren't Dirk/Mavs fans, and as such I'm not criticizing this aspect of your posts. I'm simply criticizing your overall level of intellect and knowledge of the game of basketball. Just wanted to be clear.
As you're studying to be a sports agent, it should be obvious to you that Dirk's peak statistical years were actually from 2004 to 2006. I've been watching the game of basketball since I was a boy. And you see the talent fall off once a player hits 30 years old in nearly every case. I can give you a real life case study if you want to do some home work: Hakeem Olajuwon.

Olajuwan's peak statistical years were from 1993 to 1995 when he was 30 ish. After a steady decline for a few years, his number dropped of significantly in 1998, the year he turned 35. Retired within 5 years. David Robinson has a similar peak at 30 and then a fall off. These guys aren't the exception, they are the norm. Even Kobe had his career best numbers around 30. MJ even younger. These guys do not improve once they pass 30 years old, and there are only a handful of guys in the history of the NBA who have been able to retain any kind of consistency up to the age of 40 and those are the guys whose bodies are in peak physical shape (aka Karl Malone).

With much love for Dirk, and it breaks my heart a little to say it, I just don't see it.
Dirk's Knee is offline   Reply With Quote