View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I don't expect this to change anything for the Mavs because I see them actually making the playoffs this year and if they don't, they will just miss it which means their lottery chance should be in the 0.5 to 1.5 range.

I understand the reasoning behind this rule change, but my prediction is that it just keeps the bottom teams in the bottom. It may help a few middle teams and the occasional better team. And then the owners will be discussing it again in about 6-10 years and it will swing back towards what we had.

The root of the problem is that you cannot win in this league without a super star. Let's be (very) generous and say there are a legit 12-15 super stars in the league. Half your teams are already out at that point. Now, super stars are teaming up on the same team to form super teams. Of the half, now you are down to about a quarter that have legit playoff hopes. Then you get a couple of teams that have more than 2 super stars ... GSW and CLE ... now it's down to those two. Then teams have plan and hit it big at the right time of free agency, like Miami did with Wade/Bron/Bosh. This is what the LAL are hoping to do next season. Rinse, repeat.

SO, the real root of this problem is you are forced to have a super star to win in this league. Why? Because star treatment is crazy. I understand no one wants to pay $200 for tickets to see Lebron sit on the bench with fouls ... or more realistically TV executives. But until we get away from a system where Lebron and Wade just have to literally fall down and get a foul call, or "Lebron has played X games without fouling out", then you will not win without one. And now, for teams that do not have a super star, their chances just went down in getting one and even worse in keeping him.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote