View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 08:43 PM   #149
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't expect the Mavs to come out of PHX with more than a split, so this loss doesn't concern me. Considering they dug themselves a massive hole in the first 7 minutes, they actually outscored the Suns the rest of the game.

I look at this game as a chance to learn some lessons and adjust.

I think the Mavs got spoiled playing against a collapsing Utah team. They came into this game not ready to face a good defensive team. They can and will take better care of the ball.

Luka has not played much against these Suns, so he had to figure out how to beat each of the defenders they threw at him. Remember that game they lost to Utah late in the season, when Gobert defended him well? He kept going at Rudy even when it looked futile. But over time, he learned how to make Rudy his b!tch, I saw a lot of that in this game, as he figures out how to handle Crowder and CP and Bridges. As the series progresses, I expect him to play better against them...not just by scoring, but by getting the rest better shots.

There is no doubt the Mavs have far less talent. They have less talent than Utah too. But they won with strong defense in the times the shooting was off. Again, they were spoiled by how easy it was to defend the Jazz. They can cure a lot of this by working harder, which I believe they will.

This game was a learning lab for Kidd as well. This was his first game to coach against the Suns without KP. He's going to have to figure out how to get more out of the weapons he has, and I think he will. Remember in Utah, Rudy had 5 blocks in the first 2 games. He had one in the last 3. They playoffs are all about adjustments, and Kidd has proven pretty adept at that so far. Now its up to him to justify my faith in him. I was glad to see Frank and Josh get some minutes...maybe there is a role for them. If your offensive guys are scoring, maybe its time to give the defenders more minutes.

Its every possible the Suns have just too much more talent. They have one of the best defenders, best shooters, best PG and best centers in the league. Besides Luka, we don't have anyone who is in the top ten at his position. The 2011 Mavs didn't either. They won with team ball. I expect to see a little less Luka and a lot more team. Its our only chance.