View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #115
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I think its time to give a little love to Nico.

No one was impressed by his off season dealings. Everybody said we had to have a big man and a ball handling wing who could get his own shot, and he got neither. All he got was Bullock and Brown, with Frank N a very late add at the end of training camp. But think about it. He was on Bullock's doorstep the minute free agency opened...that turned out to be a brilliant move. And look at some of the minutes we got from Frank playing defense against Booker. Very small Nico moves, but ones that had major influence on the ultimate success of this season.

Now, lets look at his big move. Trading Porzingis for 2 of the worst contracts in the NBA. But Spencer has helped. He hit a couple of game winners late in the season, and I don't think there is any way we win those Utah games without Luka if JB was our only dependable ball handler. And without Betrtans big game hitting 4 threes in game five against the Suns, the Mavs season would already be over.

But the biggest impact in dumping Porzingis is on the team. No longer does Kidd have to waste time figuring out how to get KP his shots, when Luka is clearly more effective in a five out type of offense. Its no mystery that Porzingis had some of his best games when Luka was out.

I'm hoping his success last year will help in recruiting this off season. Free agents can see what we are building here, with J Kidd's pro-player approach working where Carlisle 's "my way or the highway" style failed. But who knows? Maybe Nico has his eye on a couple of unwanted scrubs who will be enough to push us over the top.