View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #116
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I think its time to give a little love to Nico.

No one was impressed by his off season dealings. Everybody said we had to have a big man and a ball handling wing who could get his own shot, and he got neither. All he got was Bullock and Brown, with Frank N a very late add at the end of training camp. But think about it. He was on Bullock's doorstep the minute free agency opened...that turned out to be a brilliant move. And look at some of the minutes we got from Frank playing defense against Booker. Very small Nico moves, but ones that had major influence on the ultimate success of this season.

Now, lets look at his big move. Trading Porzingis for 2 of the worst contracts in the NBA. But Spencer has helped. He hit a couple of game winners late in the season, and I don't think there is any way we win those Utah games without Luka if JB was our only dependable ball handler. And without Bertans big game hitting 4 threes in game five against the Suns, the Mavs season would already be over.

But the biggest impact in dumping Porzingis is on the team. No longer does Kidd have to waste time figuring out how to get KP his shots, when Luka is clearly more effective in a five out type of offense. Its no mystery that Porzingis had some of his best games when Luka was out.

I'm hoping his success last year will help in recruiting this off season. Free agents can see what we are building here, with J Kidd's pro-player approach working where Carlisle 's "my way or the highway" style failed. But who knows? Maybe Nico has his eye on a couple of unwanted scrubs who will be enough to push us over the top.
I always loved the Frank pickup and thought he played solid even doing the regular season.

The Bullock pickup I really didn't have much to say I was just hoping he could add some defense that the Mavs missed fired on with D.Wright and J.Richardson. Early in the season it was looking like Bullock was headed down that same path, but he's really played solid since January and when THJ went down that IMO allowed the dude to settle in more.

The Brown pickup has turned out to be a bust but I just blame that on the Mavs once again going after a player just because he played well against them in a few games (Wright) LOL.

Dinwiddie was a guy that I wanted them to go after last summer. Having said I was not happy with the KP trade especially since in hindsight had they went after Dinwiddie in the Summer they could have potentially had both him and KP on the same roster already. The trade IMO was simply a salary cap move. I honestly don't expect either Bertans or Dinwiddie to be on the roster by the trade deadline next year. Bertans because he makes shots every 4th or 5th game. For that money you need a more reliable shooter IMO.

Dinwiddie has looked lost in the playoffs most nights, sure he's a few double digit games but overall the lack of defense and out of control drives to the rim might ultimately get him shipped out unless he goes on some kind of consistent run the 1st half of next season.

My ideal summer pickup would be Myles Turner and Brogdon both guys can play off ball and provide two way options at their position. I know some people will keep throwing it out there that Luka will attract FA's but I just don't but that anymore. It didn't work with Dirk and the Mavs built their rosters via trades not FA's

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-14-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote