View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #484
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
No, the issue is NOT whether McCain is a strong Republican. The issue, which I believe that you raised, is whether McCain is a good representative of conservatism.

Forget about the Presidential race for a moment. If the pundits (or the general public, for that matter) had been polled 2 years ago and asked to identify which Senator(s) embodied conservatism, how far down the list would McCain have been? Would he have even made the list? Personally, I don't think so.

BTW, while we are at it, I don't think being "pro-military deployment" is really a conservative position. Support for a strong military, yes. But "pro-military deployment" is something different entirely.
If McCain is not a good representative of conservatism, what the hell is the Republican Party doing nominating him? Is the party moving away from its conservative views? Or is it just sitting this one out, and McCain is the sacrificial lamb?

If the pundits or the general public had been polled two years ago--or better yet, today--on which public servant, Senator or otherwise, embodied conservatism...who would they choose? What would your list look like, KG? I'm assuming Guiliani wouldn't top the list. I'm assuming Romney would have problems, too. He's pro-choice, right? (So many litmus tests when it comes to earning your "conservative" badge these days.)

The GOP needs to get some help for its schizophrenia. It needs to figure out what its identity is going forward. I can't imagine it is going to help the party much to keep on rolling candidates out there who don't embody conservative views.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote