View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 12:26 AM   #147
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Devin Harris will start

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
If voters don't take a teams record into account, they should. There's not way to prove either side of the argument, but I'd like to believe that it's a consideration. Agreed

You had a couple of other mitigating factors in the Carmello/Labron debate.

1) Labron came straight of high school with more hype than any rookie who has ever entered the league. I believe that most thought there was no way he'd live up to it and when he did he was rewarded.

Carmello OTOH took a college team to the Final Four and won it as a freshman. It was pretty clear that he was NBA ready. The factors that you are speaking of truly don't matter to me, as my point was simply that the winner of the ROY for 03/04 was not the guy with the better team if you agree that their numbers were comparable. There can be other factors in every race, (injuries, playing time, clutch performances, etc...), but that is not what we were discussing!

2) Carmello took a p.r. hit late in the season. Can't remember what happened...something like refusing to enter a game. This left a bad taste in the mouth of many and could very well have swayed a close vote. Speculation... Possible, but just as unprovable as our little debate here

If the Mavs are a top 4 team in the brutal West and Devin is the quarterback, I think he will get strong consideration. This all just depends... I think he will get consideration based on our record, but again, it can be argued that if Howard puts up 16/9/3 and Harris puts up 18/5/7 that Howard might get the ROY for hype despite his teams poor record, (assuming Orlando doesn't make the playoffs) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think we’ve seen that if you play him enough, he’ll give you numbers. His points won’t be as high as say, Okafor’s but there’s no reason he can’t have double figure points, 5+ assists and 2 steals. Those numbers will put him in contention.Two things... First, I think he will likely have more points than Okafor, as I think Okafor will be a 12/9/3 guy... Second, I believe that double figure points, 5+ assists, and 2 steals with the Mavs having a winning record will put Devin in contention, but just how serious will that contention be??? Who knows really... Only time will tell!
Back to the topic of this thread... I still am unsure if Devin will start this entire season, and that will be one helluva determining factor for how good his stats are and ultimately how well his chances are of winning the ROY as Barkley predicted!