View Single Post
Old 08-22-2001, 05:24 PM   #8
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

You took the words out of my mouth Murph. Holding that lefty thing against Gwynn is like saying Shaq shouldn't be the MVP because he's so big. That means nothing. Gwynn very RARELY strikes out, now don't tell me that has anything to do with him being a lefty. It has ALOT to do with him having great hand eye coordination.

Also, no one is saying Cal sucked because the guy is a hall of famer on the first ballot. However I think the reason the two was compared was because the question was thrown out there, who would you take out of the two. I would take Gwynn. In his prime, with runners in scoring position, Gwynn (if you look at the percentages) drove in runs more than not only Cal but the majority of players in both leagues during that time.

Also your theory about American League pitchers being braver than National league pitchers I disagree with. I don't think so. I think American League pitchers get more brave because they don't have to bat. So they don't care about throwing at a batter because a player on their team is going to get hit, not them. National League pitchers now, if they do something stupid, they could very well be hit with a pitch. That's why you'll see the majority of major fights in the American league. The last three years, there have been a handfull of major fights that have broken out from people throwing at batters and they have been in the American League too. That doesn't make a player more brave in my opinion.