View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 11:15 AM   #23
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Trade Walker....

Quote:
Originally posted by: PiusDoe

I really don't see the big problem with Walker being the leader on this team. He is obviously the only Maverick with the personality to do so. That doesn't necessarily mean he has to be the person taking the most shots. It simply means he's the one that will do the talking, light fires under his teammates' asses, and talk smack to the opposing players. As long as his leadership isn't along the lines of, "Ok guys. Now you all give me the ball so I can take 20 three pointers a game.", I think its great that he has a dominant attitude. No one else seems to have one on this team. It would be ideal if Nowitzki ever had a chance of developing some sort of Terminator persona, but that's a real real long shot. As long as Nowitzki keeps playing his game and Walker his (bringing the attitude along with), we'd be fine.

Being a Philly area sports fan, I see similarities in this argument to that of Scott Rolen when he was with the Phillies. The entire organization, especially the coach, wanted Rolen to be the man, the voice in the locker room, the dominant vocal leader. However, that wasn't his personality or strength and so both he and the Phillies suffered until he was traded and was able to simply play the role that his attitude suited. I am in no way suggesting trading Nowitzki, I'm just stating that the team would have a better overall chemistry if Walker's dominant personality led vocally and the passive Nowitzki just played his game, leading by example with his play. Like jamming a square peg into a round hole...
well, if Walker knows how to be a leader without being the go-to guy, then i guess it'd be okay, but i guess it remains to be seen . . .

but i still have pipe dreams of Dirk Nowitzki becoming the vocal leader on this team . . . i always thought that he wasn't vocal b/c he was still learning English early in his career . . . but it seems fine now, but his personality hasn't changed all too much
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote