View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 10:05 AM   #7
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Dooby, every poll I've ever read has said that a majority-- albeit a small majority-- of Americans support a woman's right to choose. And women are slightly more prone to be pro-choice than men.

Indeed, A 1999 New York Times poll showed that most people (almost 60%) felt the government should stay out of decisions on abortion, and 75% are opposed to a constitutional amendment banning abortion.

Interestingly, socio-economic and educational backgrounds are extremely influential in how a woman views abortion. A 1998 Gallup data show that women who have completed four years of college have the highest level of support for abortion rights -- 73% were pro-choice. Women who have attended some college but less than four years were pro-choice by a margin of 59%. Of women high school graduates, only 37% were pro-choice. Conversely, men's attitudes on abortion remain stable regardless of educational attainment. Interesting, isn't it?

Similarly, I'm sure you could reference an array polls that refute those above, though I tried to utilize non-biased sources. How you can "lie" with statistics is quite another topic altogether! Not trying to open Pandora's box here, but just wanted to verify that the statement I made about the majority of women being pro-choice was rooted in research I'd read; whether or not it's the actual truth, I think, is very murky. With issues like abortion, I think it is particularly difficult to get a true reading on the public's opinion.