View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #205
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
To me, sike, those things aren't really the thrust of the bible, the way I see it. Those kind of social mores predate the bible, and they continue to exist in plentiful quantity among individuals and cultures who don't sucribe to the bible and may not have even read it.

I see the thrust of the bible as a historical artifact: a sort of guide, or cultural handbook, for a very oppressed group of people. Their struggle for survival absolutely informed their worldview, and the bible is a reflection of that.
well, then you disagree about what the Bible says about itself. That is straight forward and plain to see. The Bible is very clear as to it's "thrust". It is not written has a history text to tell a people's story but rather as a guidebook for men to come to God.

Oh, I agree that there is a moral law that God has put into the heart of every man, that is why we see in every culture at least a sense of right and wrong.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"