View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer
I just don't think it's doable.

If you don't trade Dirk and Kidd, then the only significant assets Dallas has are Josh Howard and Jason Terry. Dallas needs a starting shooting guard and a back up center--minimum. That gives you Kidd, Dirk, a defensive force (Damp), and two offensive threats (Josh Howard and the new shooting guard). You should be able to fill the back up center spot with the MLE.

But you can't get a good 2 for Terry--he's a too short 2 that can play a little point. Why would anybody do that deal (unless they had two good shooting guards and no point at all and nobody else would make a deal for a point?--that seems unlikely). If you trade Josh, then you need a small forward, so you are still a player short.

I don't see anyone on the team that can fill one of those roles--Wright is the only possibility, or maybe Rayshown Terry? I don't think those guys have enough talent.

The current team doesn't look to me like it has enough for another championship run.
I disagree, Dallas needs a starting swingman that attacks the rim consistently and has the officials respect (it really doesn't matter if it is a SG or SF). Dallas also needs an inside threat that is C which can play D.

If JO (or another palyer who is basically 7', athletic, and has a low-post game), plays inside, then Dirk can play the outside (shooter/slasher/iso). When he is on the bench, then Dallas needs an attacking swing that can get easy buckets. Wright could play the SG, if all he needs to do is defend and hit the occasional wide open three. (I'd bet he would do the offensive side better than Bruce Bowen). Kidd is still very good at the PG, and Lue is definitely adequate as a backup.

Terry can be a dagger and sharpshooter -- but then Dallas depends on it, and you live/die by the jumper. I don't like it because that leaves you vulnerable. If Dallas loses to the jumper, I want it to be Dirks.

Can Dallas afford Magette and JO without losing Damp, Dirk, or Kidd -- probably not, but I wish they would at least try. If not, then at least try to find someone with the skillsets. They need a swing that excels at slashing, and a center that has inside game both of which are very good defensively - to go with Dirk and Kidd.

That would make Damp the backup C (very nice roll for him), and a lineup of

Kidd, Lue
Wright
Magette
Dirk -- I'd keep Allen as well
JO, Damp

Your other swing from the list of RTerry, EJones, DGeorge, Stack, or "other" would be all you would really have to worry about.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote