Thread: The Rant Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
This will be a bit long, I've been bottling this:

I freaking hate my company's decision to move offices. Our current location is 5 minutes away from 4 major highways. It's smack dab in the middle of the metroplex. Most importantly it's a 10 minute drive from my house.

But since we've moved up in position in our industry, we have to get new diggs. Fine, how about Las Colinas? Not trendy enough. We gotta go to the 35th freaking floor of one of the signature (maybe top 5 signature, anyway) highrises in downtown Dallas.

So good ol' Thig gets to add an hour+ to his daily commute, and that's IF I decide to take the light rail.

Some may say that's an over reaction. I mean, it IS going to be kind of cool to be in a spiffy new office. And according to all my sources, our floor looks pretty sweet. I've been to the building before they started construction, it's quite nice.

Well, not only are we changing buildings, but we're changing environments. Our parent company is based in the UK, and they want us to go with a more UK type work environment. You know what that means? "Open and collaborative".

What does open and collaborative mean you ask? Gone are the spacious cubes with 5' walls. In its place? Desks. Modern, trendy desks arranged a bit like honeycombs, with zero personal space and dividers that come up about 4" above the desk surface.

This is quite possibly the worst possible idea for a development environment I could ever think of.

So if I'm especially confrontational and grumpy Monday (first day in new office), you know why.
Two thoughts...

1 - I'd feel better working for a company that chased cheap leases rather than showy locations, especially given you're in development.
2 - The best "open" environment is high-walled cubes with the openings facing each other down short aisles. The guys can roll out and talk to each other when needed, roll back in and keep to themselves when they prefer not to. Can't imagine how a bunch of developers are going to function if they don't have walls to tack things to.

My rant is a simple one. I hate refrigerator doors that close themselves. It's my fridge, and I should be able to leave the door open if I want.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote