Thread: The Rant Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Two thoughts...

1 - I'd feel better working for a company that chased cheap leases rather than showy locations, especially given you're in development.
2 - The best "open" environment is high-walled cubes with the openings facing each other down short aisles. The guys can roll out and talk to each other when needed, roll back in and keep to themselves when they prefer not to. Can't imagine how a bunch of developers are going to function if they don't have walls to tack things to.

My rant is a simple one. I hate refrigerator doors that close themselves. It's my fridge, and I should be able to leave the door open if I want.
The best environment you just described is the one we have now. Not only will we not have anything to tack things to in the new building, we were told not to bring any kind of tacks at all to the new building. Even our tiny dividers are made of glass, so putting anything on them is going to require sticky tack or something of that nature. Also no place to put individual white boards, which is another ridiculous decision.

On the showy location part, I at least understand where they're coming from. We're not a consulting firm. We make software for a specific industry, and we service major companies in that industry. When you have IBM and Sprint rolling in to talk the sales guys or just to check out he place, I get that they want a spiffy place rather than the warehousy feel we have now. So that I can at least understand, even if I don't agree with it, at all.

But the desks are just a horrendous idea, and it's going to cost them a major chunk of productivity.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-30-2008 at 08:12 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote